Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

IPad Pro 12.9 5th gen calibration battery

Hello,

I was reading here in a post in the community from 2013 that it’s a good practice to calibrate the battery once a month, bringing the battery to 5% and charge it up to 100%.

Is a good thing to do on iPad Pro 5th gen too? Or there’s another method? Or it’s not advised at all?

My iPad battery is dropping of 5 points of percentage over night with screen, WiFi and Bluetooth off, and I think is better to give calibration a try.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

iPad Pro

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 11:53 AM

Ejona90 wrote:

All right, agreeing that it's not needed for my case, is the practice described above the correct one? And is it advisable to do it every month for the battery health?

No, it's not advisable. That process never calibrated the battery. It calibrated the battery sensor. What it did was make the indicator more accurate. It never did anything for the battery health.

My girlfriend's iPad drops of only 1%, at the same conditions, that's why I find it weird that mine drops 5%

Unless her iPad is the exact same model as yours, purchased on the same day with a battery made on the same assembly line at the same time, running exactly the same apps for the exact same amount of time in the exact places every day, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Ideally, you should plug your iPad in every night and make sure WiFi is enabled. That way, the iPad will back up to iCloud and will be fully charged in the morning when you wake up.

See here for more details:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Ejona90

Ejona90 wrote:

All right, agreeing that it's not needed for my case, is the practice described above the correct one? And is it advisable to do it every month for the battery health?

No, it's not advisable. That process never calibrated the battery. It calibrated the battery sensor. What it did was make the indicator more accurate. It never did anything for the battery health.

My girlfriend's iPad drops of only 1%, at the same conditions, that's why I find it weird that mine drops 5%

Unless her iPad is the exact same model as yours, purchased on the same day with a battery made on the same assembly line at the same time, running exactly the same apps for the exact same amount of time in the exact places every day, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Ideally, you should plug your iPad in every night and make sure WiFi is enabled. That way, the iPad will back up to iCloud and will be fully charged in the morning when you wake up.

See here for more details:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

Nov 22, 2023 3:40 AM in response to Ejona90

To be clear, recalibration in the manner that you suggest is technically pointless. The only benefit to you, if any, will be to fill your objective need to try something.

You will find much myth and misinformation concerning batteries and battery health. Li-ion batteries do require care - but are easy to maintain. In summary, for Li-ion batteries, the significant rules are:

• Don't deliberately fully discharge the battery; it may not recover.
  • Never leave or store the battery in a discharged state; it may be permanently damaged and not recover.
  • Avoid storing the battery for extended period (i.e., months) with a fully charged battery; for long term storage, recharge to ~50% - and periodically check/recharge to this level.

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If you have any concerns for your iPad's battery health or performance, you might be best advised to contact Apple Support and request a remote battery diagnostic. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 22, 2023 2:43 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks so much for the answer and for the article. It explains a lot and in depth.

So I don't have to worry about the battery health, it does it all by itself, only thing, I have to keep it above the 20%.

I am still wondering tho if it'd be a good idea to do a battery indicator calibration, now that it's acting weird in the last days.

If yes, what would be the right method to do so?

Nov 22, 2023 6:41 AM in response to Ejona90

Ejona90 wrote:

So I don't have to worry about the battery health, it does it all by itself, only thing, I have to keep it above the 20%.

20% is not a magic number. Just try to avoid letting the battery completely drain.

I am still wondering tho if it'd be a good idea to do a battery indicator calibration, now that it's acting weird in the last days.

There is no such thing as "battery calibration". There is battery sensor calibration which was required in older devices.

If you plug your iPad in every nigh, it will not be drained at all in the morning. That is the right method to resolve your issue.

IPad Pro 12.9 5th gen calibration battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.