Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

If I buy a Mac Mini M2, with 8GB RAM, can I get Apple to put in more RAM later?

I may want to upgrade RAM later. Is it possible?

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 5:04 AM

I know that everyone says 8 GB RAM is not enough but believe me it is . . . unless you are a high end professional editing 8K all day long with tight deadlines.

I have been using a 2017 iMac with 8 GB RAM for the past 7 years editing 1080p and 4K videos with no problems in Final Cut Pro and DaVinci Resolve.

A month ago I got the cheapest M2 Mac mini and it blows the iMac out of the water being at least 3 times faster.

Don't worry about the small 256 GB SSD either as you can buy high quality USB 3.0 SSDs of 1 TB for £50 - £80.

If you buy an M2 with a 1 TB SSD installed it will set you back a further £400.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2023 5:04 AM in response to Kenvyn

I know that everyone says 8 GB RAM is not enough but believe me it is . . . unless you are a high end professional editing 8K all day long with tight deadlines.

I have been using a 2017 iMac with 8 GB RAM for the past 7 years editing 1080p and 4K videos with no problems in Final Cut Pro and DaVinci Resolve.

A month ago I got the cheapest M2 Mac mini and it blows the iMac out of the water being at least 3 times faster.

Don't worry about the small 256 GB SSD either as you can buy high quality USB 3.0 SSDs of 1 TB for £50 - £80.

If you buy an M2 with a 1 TB SSD installed it will set you back a further £400.

Jan 24, 2024 5:52 AM in response to Jamzhouse

The cheapest ones available from a "known" company.

The i5 mini on the left was bought in 2014 together with the cheap Benq 24" 1080p monitor for about £100 and I got the M2 mini and Philips 27" 1080p monitor for £110.

If you compare them side by side with the 27" iMac 5K Retina screen they are not as good . . . big surprise! But when you are working at them you don't notice that they are much cheaper.

Nov 23, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I don't know how tech savvy you are but I actually have the mini booted off one of the plugin SSDs so the internal SSD does not get any wear at all!

As the USB 3.0 SSDs are much slower than the mini's own SSD you would assume the computer would run slower but it doesn't.

Bench tests and real world editing are just as fast. The only thing that would be slower would be copying huge files but how often do you do that?

If I buy a Mac Mini M2, with 8GB RAM, can I get Apple to put in more RAM later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.