HLS Media

I've been advised to set my Mac up as a new device several times since the catastrophic installation of Sonoma, and I see that Apple Music has converted some 5,000+ tracks I own (mostly ripped from CDs) into HLS Media, a format that can only be played on Apple devices. Apple tells me that they're sorry: this is the way it's going, but it's always worth registering any complaints I may have. So here goes.

I started buying music from the iTunes store in 2003, and I got my first Mac in 2004. Since then I have played Apple's game to the hilt. When they encouraged me to rip all my CDs to my computer and use their software as a sort of mothership for my entire music collection, I did it. When they sold more and better iPods, I bought them. When they changed iTunes into Apple Music, I went along with it. When they advertised Lossless audio, I approved (not realising that, as long as you're listening in Bluetooth, which Apple virtually forces you to, this is almost a complete irrelevance). As far back as 2003, I was emboldened by Apple's mantra: if you buy a track from us, you own it.

No longer. Tracks that I bought from Apple can now, retrospectively, only be played on Apple devices. I can't convert them to mp3. I can't burn them to CD. I can't do what I want with them.

As sneaky as that is, I can just about bring myself to understand why Apple has done it, if applied to tracks bought from their online store. Just about.

However: to take songs that I own on CD and convert them to this format is utterly unethical. A deep dive into my Music/Media folder reveals that the mp3 files still exist, it's just that Apple circumvents them to get Music to link to the newly-created HLS files. Yes: I can go in and reset this, but for over 5,000 songs? I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment, but my inclination goes only so far. And it's pointless: because, as soon as I buy a new Mac, or reset this one because of software issues, the whole thing starts again. The key difference being that, every time I have to reset my device, Apple changes more of my songs into HLS Media files. So the incentive to use Apple at all for my music collection is diminishing as time passes.

My conclusion is that, after two decades of building them up and recruiting them, Apple no longer cares about music fans with large collections, who like to own music. It's all about streaming now, and nothing else. The championing of lossless audio, together with the removal of the headphone jack and therefore the almost forced use of Bluetooth, is a glaring contradiction that proves my point. They give with one hand and take away with the other. To say that I feel betrayed and rejected doesn't even begin to describe it. It's bigger than that: I no longer trust Apple at all with my music, and I'm beginning the slow process of going back twenty years, to the time before I used Apple to be the hub for my music collection.

To quote John Lennon: the dream is over.

Is it just me? Does anyone else feel the same?

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 5:58 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

May 8, 2024 5:30 AM in response to j_bakker

Hi,

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you library is scanned to determine what can be matched or needs to be uploaded. Your original library is not changed unless you opt to remove the track and download the version from the cloud.

Matched tracks can be re-downloaded as 256 Kbps AAC (no DRM) or lossless/ hi-res versions (HLS with DRM). Uploaded tracks (AIFF) are transcribed to 256 Kbps AAC which means that re-downloaded tracks will have been changed.

Did you make a backup of your original tracks. If not , there will be no way to retrieve the original AIFF files as they were never added to the iCloud music library.

Jim

May 8, 2024 12:41 AM in response to ThaDJTesla

Hello everyone,

I’d like to share my recent experience after installing Sanomo on my MacBook Air M2. My entire music collection, consisting of over 10,000 songs (including CD rips, Bandcamp, and Soulseek - sorry about that 😄), primarily consists of AIFF files. However, Apple converted these files to their HLS media format, including a few 256 kbps files.

Initially, everything seemed fine. But when I opened third-party software (production and DJ tools), I received a message saying that I didn’t have physical files on my Mac. This was incredibly frustrating, especially considering the countless hours I’ve invested in curating my collection.

I’ve always enjoyed my paid Apple Music subscription because it allowed me to play my songs on my iPhone and across my home network. However, when I came across the “Remove Download” option, I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal. After all, the songs were still playable. But upon re-downloading, I noticed that the “bitrate” column was empty, and the downloaded files were in HLS media format, which I couldn’t use.

Just to clarify:

• My import settings are set to AIFF.
  • Converting HLS media files back to AIFF in Apple Music results in an error (-50).

What surprises me is that when I choose to remove downloads, I receive an extra warning, but when I download and then remove files, there’s no mention of consequences. Plus, the files don’t return in AIFF format.

As a test, I downloaded a few AIFF files from Bandcamp and added them to Apple Music (something I’ve been doing for years). When I removed the download, the “bitrate” column suddenly became empty (which I understand), but I could still re-download the file, only to find an HLS media file in its place.

I’ve escalated this issue to Apple support. While they’ve been helpful, the general support staff isn’t equipped to address this specific problem. They’ve created an “incident” for my case, and I have a call scheduled with an Apple engineer in four days. I’m not very hopeful, but I’ll keep you updated after speaking with the engineer.

Nov 27, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks, Jim. I mean: yes, I can re-download or even re-rip my music. But I'm talking about over 5,000 songs here. My point is that Apple shouldn't be doing this in the first place. My concern isn't really the music I've purchased from Apple - that's a tiny proportion. I'm really more worried about mp3s of tracks I've ripped from my own CDs that Apple is converting to HLS after a reset of my computer. If you can recommend a realistic, non-time-consuming way to get around this then I'm certainly listening.

Dec 28, 2023 5:54 AM in response to Luke The Drifter

Luke the drifter,

I feel the same way you do about all of this and particularly the removal of the iMac 27 inch. only reasonable choice was to purchase a Mac mini pro with an apple display as best option. The only welcome thing is all connections are now USB-C, so hopefully we won't have to keep buying adapters and new cables. I've been purchasing since early 2000s it seems, and CDs imported now have only 5000 songs. Now I have descriptions what you must select to even view the kind, cloud status and so forth and tried to scan with all the new icons made with the down arrows and at least four different versions. I was told to get lossless audio to delete the download of my music, and re-download. I got mostly HLS media files, which were around 28 MB, and get info said it was lossless audio, so I thought great, now I have lossless audio files in my library. Purchasing a lot of Apple products this year I got many Free trials of Apple Music, and other services, and I purchased iTunes match for $25.

Now, I'm hearing folks complaining about the HLS media files are no longer your own Purchased Music? Those purchased songs are now downloaded into a format you cannot use except within Apple Music app? Not happy if so. I supported this company when it was McIntosh back in the early 80s. I'm a musician, and only McIntosh supported the arts. PC's didn't get on the scene until over a decade later. There was Opcode sequencer for MIDI, DIGIDESIGN for audio recording, and only had MTC to sync, Before SMPTE timecode replaced it. It was a time of constant dynamic changing of formats between hardware and software. Spent more time getting everything to work than recording music it seems now.

Surely this is something that's going to be fixed sometime soon for "purchased songs" back from iTunes days and more recently as well, yes? Do you have any updates to add to this situation since your last posting I am replying to here? Best, Seth

Dec 28, 2023 6:25 AM in response to Luke The Drifter

Luke the drifter,

Notice that someone replied and you responded with the thanks I'll give it a try, but I don't see the intervening reply. I feel the same way as you do as the purchase downloaded lossless audio files around 600, whereas including the CDs is over 5000. And I'm regretting that I activated the Apple Music three months free after all the hardware I purchased this year. I was concerned about doing it from the beginning and thought I should just get the iTunes match for $25 which would serve my purpose of sinking my three IMAX and my Mac mini pro . I noticed with my 2011 iMac had three fans and it keeps very cool according to IT menus and TG Pro. However, my 2014 iMac only has one fan and can see that it's had episodes of getting very hot and the seams around the screen on the edges a bit raised from such episodes . I suspect separating the new apple display in the computer into either a Mac mini Pro or studio hardware is one way to keep it cool and somewhat more flexible, perhaps easier to clean. Seems Apple was thinking users were just users and don't like to tinker with their hardware. Big change from 2011 or you could use suction cups to take off the screen and then change to sealing it to the frame.

My Apple Music trial of three months will end in January 20, and wonder what's going to happen to those HLS files when I only have iTunes match subscription? I did not intentionally put any Apple Music files on my computer but I know this and iTunes media there is an Apple Music folder with a lot of music in it, but it contains music that I paid for Previously, and perhaps a couple that got downloaded accidentally that I have not paid for. It disappear and I won't miss it. This whole scheme just not good. This whole time I was thinking that the DRM copyright protection that was done away in 2009 was the end of it. Now they started a whole new road of nonsense for us to deal with.

If anybody has anything to add about these HLS media files and music with Apple Music subscription and what happens when that is terminated on January 20 and what I can do before, or after would be so much appreciated. I've had several sessions with Apple supervisors a few we're having to look up things and some quick info look up system they have for staff to help users. This is not me where I was getting much help, and I was not. They had no idea how I could Remove the compressed files and get the best and hopefully lossless files onto my computer in Music. Hopefully, answers will evolve here and there as they usually do. Best, Seth

Dec 28, 2023 8:49 AM in response to Seth77

Hi,

With an iTunes Match subscription, you matched songs and purchased songs will be 256 Kbps AAC. You will continue to have access to upgraded and purchased songs after your iTunes Match subscription expires. As always you should maintain a separate backup of your music.

The matching process works the same for Apple Music subscription. Music can be upgraded to 256 Kbps and iTunes Store purchases will still be 256 Kbps. Such music will not have DRM - you should keep a backup of this music.

However, Apple Music gives you the ability to upgrade matched and purchased music where available to upgrade to lossless or hi-res but such tracks have DRM are only available whilst you have an active subscription to Apple Music. When you upgrade the original is removed replace by upgraded version - hence the reason for making a backup. If you know that you will not be renewing your subscription, you have the opportunity to revert to the 256 Kbps versions. You will not be able to do this once your subscription expires.

Jim

Dec 28, 2023 9:29 AM in response to Seth77

Thanks for your reply. Seth. I've pretty much lost faith in Apple's ability to do the right thing here. I've got a new Mac now, and have gone through the rigmarole of re-ripping my music (in lossless format this time, although there's arguably little point if I'm listening over Bluetooth): it took me over a week. Fingers crossed that Apple doesn't change the rules again, which they may well do. I no longer purchase music from the iTunes store, because I don't trust Apple not to renege on their agreed terms. There's Qobuz if I want quality, and Amazon for ease (my music downloads are still there, over a decade later, and I can re-download them as many times as I want, and the file format hasn't changed).

Jan 26, 2024 7:59 AM in response to Luke The Drifter

I have a similar problem, except my library exceeds 20,000 tracks, most of which I purchased on CD, Beatport and, I'm beginning to regret it more each day, iTunes. I'm more-so regretting ever signing up for Apple Music. As a musician, DJ and producer any form of compression is an insult to my ears. That's particularly the case on a big system. Lossless is great, but what is the point if I cannot play it using professional equipment so the answer is re-download music that I own in AAC. BUT THAT IS COMPRESSION!!!! ARGH!!!!! (and yes I too have to pay for Match for the privilege of DJ'ing with music I have purchased because of DRM). Of course as someone already replied - it's a good idea to keep a copy of the music files. But I shouldn't have to use an additional 500GB of drive space for non-compressed music files, I should only need to have 1 copy. One that is the way the artist intended it to sound. A side note, since this is an opportunity to rant........ I am still using a MBPro late 2013 model (I also have an iMac) because it is the last Mac that is in someway upgradeable. I'm now up to my 3rd HD upgrade, installing a couple of years ago a 2TB solid state drive for space and speed, both critical when working with music. Whilst I have been wanting to get a new computer for some time now I have held off and, after looking at the hardware options now available and taking into account the impact Apple is having on the quality and ease of use of my music files the future for me is almost decided. Regrettably after 20+ years of being loyal to Apple I will be getting a Windows machine and do away with Apple's iTunes/Music/Match. Of course that will flow on to getting a Samsung as my next phone and I won't be buying another Apple Watch or Apple TV. Rant over.

HLS Media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.