How do I get rid of the text identifier icon in Photos when looking at single images in full screen mode?

When looking at individual photos which include text in full screen mode this annoying icon appears and so far I have found no way to remove it. Any suggestions. Many thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 8:42 AM

Here are some options:

1. Get over it. That's what I did. I mean, I angrily stared at that icon for awhile, but now I don't really see it anymore.
  2. View it in Edit Mode. It disappears there.
  3. Export the picture and view it in finder or another app.
  4. Make a slideshow (File>Play Slideshow)
  5. Tell Apple you'd like it to be optional-- this may not get results quickly or at all, but it's worth a try:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

That's the best I can come up with...

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2023 8:42 AM in response to dbartlettlondon

Here are some options:

1. Get over it. That's what I did. I mean, I angrily stared at that icon for awhile, but now I don't really see it anymore.
  2. View it in Edit Mode. It disappears there.
  3. Export the picture and view it in finder or another app.
  4. Make a slideshow (File>Play Slideshow)
  5. Tell Apple you'd like it to be optional-- this may not get results quickly or at all, but it's worth a try:

Feedback - Photos - Apple

That's the best I can come up with...

Nov 28, 2023 11:42 AM in response to Old Toad

After clicking the text badge you can either select the text by dragging the pointer across the text you want or use "Copy all" directly. There is no confirmation, but the text should appear on the clipboard and we can paste it wherever we want it, on a note or to the info of a different photo.

Have you tried to paste the text to a note or somewhere?

The highlighting colour is very faint. It is not easy to see the text selection.

Nov 28, 2023 10:34 AM in response to dbartlettlondon

The other badges for visual lookup are still right in the center of the photo, but these can be hidden by closing the Info. It would be great, if we could turn off these badges with an option in the View > Metadata menu and keep the Info open.

I am using the ability to extract the text from a photo a lot. When I am taking photos, I am frequently taking pictures of signpost or other text to take notes. And when I take pictures of documents, I can easily extract the text. Photos is much better at reading my handwriting than I am. 😀

How do I get rid of the text identifier icon in Photos when looking at single images in full screen mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.