iPhone 12 is making calls itself, NO LOGS IN RECENT CALLS

I'm facing an issue where people call me claiming to have missed my calls from my number.

The problem lies in my iPhone 12 initiating calls on its own to numbers not saved in my contacts. Strangely, these outgoing calls don't appear in my phone's recent call list.

Despite replacing the SIM card and updating the phone, the issue is still there.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 2:46 AM

8 replies

Nov 28, 2023 4:54 AM in response to skravchuk

What Call? On an iPhone, you can make and receive various types of calls. Here are the different types:

1. These are standard voice calls made over the cellular network. They utilize your carrier's voice network to connect you with other phone numbers. Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
  2. FaceTime Audio allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi or cellular data using your internet connection. It provides higher audio quality compared to traditional cellular calls.
  3. FaceTime Video enables you to have video calls with other FaceTime users. It uses the front or rear camera on your iPhone to transmit live video during the call. Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
  4. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls use internet connectivity to make phone calls. Apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, and Google Hangouts utilize this technology, allowing you to make voice and video calls over the Internet.
  5. Some carriers support Wi-Fi calling, which allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of relying solely on cellular coverage. This can be useful in areas with weak cellular reception. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support (IN)
  6. The App Store offers numerous calling apps that utilize different technologies. These apps can provide additional features and options for making calls, such as international calling, call recording, and more.

It's important to note that the availability of certain call types may depend on your iPhone model, iOS version, and carrier.

Nov 28, 2023 1:05 PM in response to skravchuk

It is possible to spoof a number. Spam callers do it all the time. The number appears as one number but it's really coming from another number. Or, there is some bizarre glitch in your carrier's system. Or, the people who are reporting this to you are mistaken or having a joke. Is it more than one person? If it's just one person, perhaps they've put someone else's number in your contact entry.

Nov 30, 2023 6:07 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

It appears to resemble spoofing, to be honest.

Thank you very much for your help.

I have another question now. Is it possible that this situation could lead to calls from trusted individuals on my contact list being redirected to these spoofed numbers? There have been instances where my family attempted to call me, but my phone seemed "busy," as if I had blocked them. Strangely, there were no call logs in my "recents" indicating that they even tried to reach me. Could this potentially be the same issue?

Nov 30, 2023 6:41 AM in response to skravchuk

If your callers are tapping on the entry in their Recents that appears to come from you, that might well be what would happen. I'd suggest you let people who are likely to call you that this has been happening and they should return any calls to you either by typing in your number or accessing it from their contacts list.

FYI, on an iPhone, anyway, if you had blocked them, they would not get a busy signal. Generally, the call will go to voicemail, where they can leave a voicemail that will get diverted to your "Deleted" folder in Voicemail, and for which you will not get a notification.

You should also contact your carrier and let them know this is happening.

iPhone 12 is making calls itself, NO LOGS IN RECENT CALLS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.