Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Copying iTunes playlists from iPhone to new PC.

I've tried exporting an xml file from my old computer then importing into iTunes on the new computer. Didn't work. Mostly I'm concerned about losing the playlists on my iPhone when i sync/backup using iTunes on the new PC. As I recall, typically the iTunes library on the PC replaces or copies over the playlists/library on my iPhone. TIA

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 4:35 PM

If you followed the steps in:

Save a copy of your playlists in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

can you describe where and how it failed?

4 replies

Nov 30, 2023 7:27 AM in response to javaliga

Yes, I went to my old laptop, iTunes, exported my playlists into an xml file, tranferred the file to my new laptop and imported the xml file. Got a popup that said "some of the songs were not imported because they could not be found". Ultimately there was nothing imported (songs or playlists) into iTunes on the new laptop. I tried this method saving the exported file into both xml and txt. Same results both times. Thanks.

Copying iTunes playlists from iPhone to new PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.