Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Add playlist songs to library keeps turning on

Hi! So I have a problem with my Apple Music settings. I keep turning off ‘Add Playlist Song’ option in my settings, and add music to my playlists but it seems to me automatically turning on about 45 seconds later no matter how many times I go back and turn it off and adding all the songs to my library. Is there any way to fix this issue?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 6:21 AM

it’s literally so annoying and it’s driving me insane. my library is full of multiple albums and songs. when i delete the stuff from my library, if i add another song to an album it comes back, otherwise, it deletes the whole song or album from my playlist 😐

Similar questions

38 replies

Dec 2, 2023 12:30 AM in response to MayaRaveh

Yes, this is so annoying. I think it’s a bug. I open my settings and leave it open on the music settings to make sure it stays off and then I will add songs to playlist so they won’t be added to my library. But when I close the settings app, it turns right back on. This started happening after the update.

Dec 3, 2023 11:08 AM in response to MayaRaveh

This is happening to me too. It's extremely frustrating, especially since you can't delete songs from your library without removing them from playlists too. I updated to the newest version of IOS in hopes it would help-- no luck. As others have said, if you are really really quick on adding a song after turning the setting off yet again it seems to work sometimes, but that's annoying, unreliable, and only lets you add one song at a time.

Dec 3, 2023 6:46 AM in response to MayaRaveh

This is definitely a bug, I have the same issue as well. A quick trick to this that works for me on my iPhone 11 is to:

1. Go to music from settings
  2. Turn off “add playlist songs”
  3. Swipe up or double click your home button (if applicable) to keep the settings app page open
  4. Add a song to your playlist
  5. The song you added to your playlist should not be added to your library, hope this helps :)

Dec 3, 2023 8:25 PM in response to MayaRaveh

This seems to a bug that crawled in after the last update. They need to fix this asap, it's annoying and it would definitely be a driving factor on me switching music streaming service. My music library is sacred. I add songs to a playlist and depending on a few factors they either ascend to my music library or stay in the playlist till whenever.

Dec 2, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Neal89kg

To add: it may have started before the update, but I unknowingly had a workaround. Typically, the setting re-enables itself after I manually add a song to a playlist. But using a shortcut from the shortcuts app to add a currently playing song to a playlist does *not* seem to re-enable the setting. I used that shortcut a lot yesterday, and I don’t remember how much I manually added songs to playlists. I only noticed the issue after I made the update this morning.

Add playlist songs to library keeps turning on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.