How to connect iPad to MacBook as second monitor

I can't connect an iPad to a MacBook as a second monitor. Can you tell me how I can fix this? The Sidecar cannot connect wirelessly because the Wi‑Fi network of this iPad is unavailable. To use Sidecar wirelessly, turn on Wi‑Fi and make sure that it is not being used in modem mode.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 17

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 6:37 AM

I still haven't found a solution.

21 replies

Jan 17, 2024 8:11 AM in response to slava278

I tried everything I found here and on reddit and in the end what worked was this: on my iPad I changed my Apple ID password, then on my Air I signed out of my Apple ID (I went to settings, clicked on my name and then on "sign out"), restarted the computer and then added my ID account again with the new password. I hope it works for you, too. Good luck!

Dec 2, 2023 8:25 PM in response to slava278

slava278 Said:

"How can I fix this? Sidecar cannot connect wirelessly because the Wi‑Fi network of this iPad is unavailable. To use Sidecar wirelessly, turn on Wi‑Fi and make sure that it is not used for modem mode."

-------

I. Troubleshooting AirPlay:

A. Compatibility being the Culprit:

Have a compatible TV?:

1. Go here: Use AirPlay to Stream Video or Mirror the Screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "Use AirPlay to stream or share content from your Apple devices to your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV. Stream a video."

B. Go here: If AirPlay or Screen Mirroring isn’t Working On your Device - Apple Support

II. Troubleshooting iPad WiFi:

A. Delete a VPN:

VPN is a common a culprit. So, disconnect from it, unless required for work, school, and such.

B. Start Here: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t Connect to a Wi-Fi Network - Apple Support

C. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

If Wifi is disconnecting, try clearing out your Temporary Internet FilesHistoryCache, and CookiesGo Here: Clear your Safari Browser History and Set Up Content Blockers on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

D. Report this to Apple:

Did you just update your device?

Do your part: Let Apple know what is going on here. Provide them with feedback on this. They may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they received on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPad - Apple
  2. Comment: that it is after installing the update when the issue began
  3. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  4. Proceed from there aw necessary

Dec 2, 2023 10:03 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles wrote:

slava278 Said:
"How can I fix this? Sidecar cannot connect wirelessly because the Wi‑Fi network of this iPad is unavailable. To use Sidecar wirelessly, turn on Wi‑Fi and make sure that it is not used for modem mode."
-------

I. Troubleshooting AirPlay:

The OP is asking about Sidecar – not about generic AirPlay. The Support document for Sidecar lists several requirements, including these:

----------

Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support

Additional requirements

----------

The requirement that "Your iPad must not be sharing its cellular connection" might be relevant to the OP. If the iPad is sharing its connection, perhaps this is the reason why "the Wi-Fi network of this iPad is unavailable."

Feb 25, 2024 7:45 AM in response to slava278

I was going insane with my sidecar not working. Cutting in and out every other second. I worked on it for a good hour and no luck. I couldn't even get my iPad icon to show.

I unplugged my router though and plugged back in and this morning at least at this writing , it's back up and running. We shall see, and maybe that's something to try if you haven't already

Mar 25, 2024 9:07 AM in response to slava278

Not sure if this will work for everyone, but I had to update my Mac and iPad, plug my iPad into my Mac to use Sidecar via USB-C and allow the iPad to trust my Mac again. I have a 2020 13-inch Macbook Pro running macOS Sonoma 14.4 and a 7th generation iPad running iPad OS 17.4.1. I had previously trusted my Mac on my iPad, so I'm not sure why that got reset, but it seems to have solved the problem for now.

Mar 30, 2024 8:58 PM in response to slava278

Insane. Using TWO Apple products together should NEVER be difficult. Now, for quite a while I had my iPad Pro extending the desktop, and this was happening without me even trying to make it do that. For a while it was convenient and I like it, for the most part. But, I turned it off, (cannot for the life of me remember how I turned it off), but ever since turning it off, I CANNOT get it to start up again. Nevertheless, it should NOT be so hard, hours wasted trying to get it to work again.

Apple doesn't "play" nice with competitors, but let's face it, they don't play nice with their own stuff either. Users of a completely Apple "eco-system" should Never, Never, Never have these sorts of trouble, and certainly, if it does happen, they should have a SOLUTION immediately, but NOooooo...

How to connect iPad to MacBook as second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.