Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My Credit Card works but it gets declined by Apple ID payment method

When I want to update my credit card it gives me an error that the card was decline even that the card is good

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2024 1:13 AM

The issue is not card declined (as you said) but when it comes up with card failed. I’ve gone and checked with my bank and all seems well but when I put it in on apple it doesn’t work

60 replies

Mar 9, 2024 7:17 PM in response to shahar293

As of 3-8-24 My apple account won’t let me download apps, says there’s a verification issue with my payment method which it has had on file for at least a year. A monthly subscription for apple care says declined. The physical card works in person for purchases as well as online merchants, that are not apple.

2 days ago it said the same thing for a streaming app subscription, I verified the card and it went through. (Didn’t change a single thing, just clicked verify). Card is not blocked or expired. There is significantly more funds available in the account card is attached to than the charge.

Dec 12, 2023 2:53 PM in response to shahar293

A “payment declined” or “card declined" message means that the issuer of the credit or debit card you have on file in your iTunes account rejected a charge or account confirmation. It is not an Apple problem; Apple is just passing through the message from your issuer. There are a number of reasons the charge or verification might be declined:

• Apple is not allowed to accept credit or debit cards in your country
  • The card is not recognized in your country
  • Insufficient balance or account in arrears
  • Account suspended for suspected fraud (not necessarily by you)
  • Error in card number
  • Wrong expiration date
  • Wrong security (CVV) code
  • Address in your iTunes account does not match exactly the billing address for the card
  • The card was not issued in the country of the iTunes store
  • You are connected through a VPN provider that does not terminate in the country or region of the iTunes store you are connected to.

Here is additional information from Apple→If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Related issues for specific messages:

Mar 31, 2024 8:23 PM in response to shahar293

kept getting apple pay declined the card in my wallet that in the past i was able to make years of apple pay transactions with. it suddenly stopped working these past 2 weeks when i use apple pay. I double-checked wallet settings and card details with issuer. my country is usa. No vpn. not expired. cc details are correct. no fraud. not locked. The card works fine online web payments and in stores terminals. Transactions never made it to issuer. transactions get declined in apple pay, not issuer. The issuer has no records of declined transactions. I updated ios, and checked over everything again, and still got declined apple pay transactions, even after updating ios.

so the resolution is: I removed the card from wallet, and added it back again to apple pay wallet by means of using the card issuer’s app. now it works again. I can use the card in wallet for apple pay.

Apr 4, 2024 7:24 AM in response to John4v1Mess

John4v1Mess wrote:

Same here. It Is An APPLE Problem and the sooner they accept this and fix their problem the better.

Given that you believe it is an Apple problem, what did Apple say when you contacted them? That is the ONLY way you can get this resolved; posting in a user to user forum accomplishes nothing. And lets' be clear: it is a problem with YOUR Apple account, not a global problem that affects 2 billion users.

Apple’s formal support can be reached several ways:

Note that both of the above have options to receive a callback or chat

Apr 9, 2024 3:14 AM in response to Csjmm86

Hi Lawrence.

Your blind insistence that this is not an Apple problem is irritating and flies in the face of plenty of evidence to support that it is an Apple problem.

1 my card was “declined” when I tried to upgrade iCloud storage.

2 I called my bank. It’s a private bank and the people on the phone are extremely knowledgeable. Apple was making a partial request but not completing the transaction.

3 The card was the only payment method on the iCloud account so I couldn’t remove it.

4 I added Paypal as a payment method and removed my card

5 I added the same card back again and removed PayPal

6 While on the phone to my bank I tried again. They confirmed that both stages of the payment authorisation went through.

7 It worked.

8 I have the same card set up on other systems- it worked every time for them with no break in service.

If it walks like an Apple problem and quacks like an Apple problem, it’s an Apple problem. Please stop misleading people with rubbish about bank and VPN problems.

Mar 29, 2024 4:57 AM in response to shahar293

This is not a bank card problem it is an Apple problem. I just tried to upgrade my iCloud storage on iOS and keep getting a payment declined message. I called my bank and they fold me that they did not get a full request for authorisation from Apple. My bank uses 2 factor for charges the instruction from Apple is not using that. I'm was working fine before iOS was upgraded. The card does not fail under any other use.

My Credit Card works but it gets declined by Apple ID payment method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.