Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 overheating after iOS 17.2 update

After updating my iPhone 15 to iOS 17.2 my iPhone is overheating in a way I’ve never seen before.

Also when plugged on my car. Quite abnormal to be honest.

I thought that the overheating issue was already resolved.

iPhone 15 Plus, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 4:56 AM

yes i'm also facing the same (iphone15) while using camera its getting over much heat , even using apps also , need a quick solution for this issue

30 replies

Jan 29, 2024 9:07 PM in response to Sssamxi

I recently purchased the iPhone 15 Pro just 2 days ago, and I need to highlight some serious concerns. This iPhone is the hottest one I've ever owned. Simple tasks like watching a YouTube video cause it to overheat, and even taking pictures heats it up excessively draining the battery. If you're considering buying this phone, please don't. There's a significant issue with it; a phone shouldn't get this hot during basic use. I'm returning my iPhone 15 Pro and reverting to my old one to avoid this overheating problem. Before buying, I specifically asked Apple if the overheating issue was resolved with an update, and they assured me it was fixed. However, I'm here to report that this is not the case; the phone still overheats during basic activities, and it becomes uncomfortably hot to touch. I'm very disappointed and won't be purchasing a new phone from Apple for a very long time due to this experience.

Jan 28, 2024 2:53 AM in response to Sssamxi

After writing to Apple ceo office this was the respond. Thank you for your recent correspondence to Apple. Due to the nature and complexity of technical issues, Apple does not offer product replacement assistance through written correspondence.

We regret that you have experienced issues with your iPhone 15 Pro Max. Although we are committed to providing the best experience to our customers, Apple does not warrant that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Apple may request that you replace defective parts with new or refurbished parts that Apple provides in fulfillment of its warranty obligation. I wanted Apple to look into this. So plan English guys they not going do nothing about the heating. More people need to let Apple know you upset and not satisfied with the phone.

Jan 28, 2024 2:02 PM in response to Sssamxi

I've been experiencing the same issue with my iPhone 15 Pro since the beginning. It starts warming up unusually on the back, near the camera module, especially when I'm charging it, making video calls on WhatsApp, or recording videos. After updating to iOS 17.3, the warmth seems to be spreading around the camera area. I've contacted Apple Support multiple times, and I even went to the Genius Bar yesterday. They ran diagnostics and told me it's normal, explaining that the CPU is located there, and since I use it a lot, it's overrunning. However, this is not acceptable. We shouldn't have to spend money on an iPhone that heats up more than it should.

Dec 14, 2023 7:18 PM in response to Sssamxi

Have you reported the issue to Apple via feedback? If not, please do.

Have you tried doing any troubleshooting steps to see if the issue is resolved? Force restarting the device is something to try. It may not help but you won’t know until you try.

1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
  3. Press and hold the side button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.

Have you made sure any new updates for apps has been done just in case any apps on older versions aren’t contributing to the issue? Again, it may not resolve the issue but it’s still worth doing just to be sure.

Have you checked settings just to be sure everything is as it should be and to make sure any new options that may have come with the new iOS update are setup in the best way for your needs?

If you feel like you have done everything possible on your end and nothing helps contact Apple directly so they can check it out and run diagnostics

Dec 26, 2023 3:10 AM in response to Sssamxi

My iPhone 15 pro max came back from repair due to this issue. They said they replaced a chip in the phone. I charged the phone and get very hot. Also says the charging was on hold due to iPhone temperature. I’m scared the phone would go on fire. So the engineers didn’t fix the problem. I’m getting tired of this issue with the phone.

Dec 29, 2023 11:11 AM in response to Sssamxi

Exact same issue. Phone gets super hot, won’t charge all the way due to overheating, and battery drains rapidly. Phone remains hot even when off. Only time it cools down is when the battery drains completely. Also can’t make calls…no one can hear me. Not sure if it’s related but issue started at the same time.

Dec 28, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Sssamxi

Just experienced high temperature on back of the phone next to camera module. Stayed hot for atleast 3 mins straight.

Also happened few hours ago while taking photos, the phone temperature went up and then camera shutter button started lagging, that took photos 3 seconds after pressing the shutter button on screen. This is really bad product quality that I have never experienced before in last 6 years of using any iPhone.

What are the next steps one can take, the one mentioned above by someone to press different buttons does not help.

Thanks

Jan 1, 2024 10:41 PM in response to Sssamxi

My iPhone 13 pro as well, after the update the battery runs down faster and the phone gets extremely hot on the left side, it gets to a point where the warning sign comes up and I’m not able to use it. Battery has degraded from 92% to 88% now as well, it’s two years old and haven’t had issues or worries since I bought, now I’m scared to carry it in my pocket.

iPhone 15 overheating after iOS 17.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.