Newsroom Update

Apple News+ introduces Quartiles, a new original spelling game, and Offline Mode for subscribers. Learn more >

Change default weather map in weather App

Opening weather app, and scroll through data, the default map has changed to “wind.” I want the default to be “precipitation.” I can’t seem to find a way to change it, and “wind” is a really odd default map.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 12:25 PM

It’s pretty annoying. I hope Apple fixes it quickly.

23 replies

Jan 12, 2024 4:39 AM in response to SaintCrumpet

This is still happening in 17.2.1.

Reproduction steps:

Open weather app

Open radar

Switch to Precipitation layer

Click Done

Expected result: weather app shows the current precipitation radar on the app homepage

Actual result: the radar layer has changed to Wind

We are in the middle of a winter storm and I need real time reliable access to radar data. The apple weather app is currently unreliable and therefore untrustworthy. This is a feature that needs to work for the safety of users.

Jan 12, 2024 9:42 AM in response to SaintCrumpet

As Apple notes, "The type of weather map shown can change depending on the weather conditions for the selected location." Thus there IS NO WAY to set a default. You can view a different map by tapping the map (bringing up the large version), choosing the layers symbol, and choosing the layer you want - but when you close the large view, it will return to the map Apple decides is best for the current weather conditions of the location you selected.

Jan 12, 2024 5:32 AM in response to SaintCrumpet

At the top left of your Wind map representation, tap the word "Wind" and that expands the weather map to full screen. On the upper right, you will see the layers symbol and click that to select Precipitation, and then click Done.

In practice, wind is sticky and it may require multiple executions of the first paragraph to change it to precipitation. Mine finally changed.

Tested: iOS 17.2.1

Change default weather map in weather App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.