Third party charger not working on iPhone 14 after iOS 17.2 update

After update to iOS 17.2 iPhone 14 can't charge on my Xiaomi wireless charger. When I place phone on charger it shows Charged (for exemple 54%) and does not start to charge. I have tried different positions, restarted the phone but nothing helps. Before the update to iOS 17.2 everything was fine.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 8:29 AM

I don’t know what the issue is, but I am experiencing the same issue with an older mophie brand wireless charger. It worked fine with my iPhone 14 Pro until the day updated to iOS 17.2. I think this new update fixed wireless charging issues for some and created new issues for others. When I place the phone on the charger it recognizes the phone and begins charging but errors out within a minute and the phone stops charging. This new iOS update broke something in the compatibility with my charger.

Also, I found your post with a Google search. Couldn’t find it with Apple’s search. I had to copy the URL from Google and paste it into Apple’s browser. So, you know it’s hard to investigate what you can’t find…

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2023 8:29 AM in response to Iluma

I don’t know what the issue is, but I am experiencing the same issue with an older mophie brand wireless charger. It worked fine with my iPhone 14 Pro until the day updated to iOS 17.2. I think this new update fixed wireless charging issues for some and created new issues for others. When I place the phone on the charger it recognizes the phone and begins charging but errors out within a minute and the phone stops charging. This new iOS update broke something in the compatibility with my charger.

Also, I found your post with a Google search. Couldn’t find it with Apple’s search. I had to copy the URL from Google and paste it into Apple’s browser. So, you know it’s hard to investigate what you can’t find…

Dec 20, 2023 12:07 PM in response to DoDiddilyDo

MagSafe and wireless chargers no longer work on my iPhone 12 Pro. So my nightstand charger and wireless charging pad in my car were how I always charged my phone. Now both methods broke by 17.2. Thanks Apple....and we know they're going to come back and say it's not their fault and that it must be something else....even though they know it's them. The only occasion where Apple admitted they screwed up is when they forced HDR on everything with the first Apple TV 4K and every TV manufacturer in the world and everyone who had a TV knew it was on Apple, so they had no choice but to fix it, which they did with a brilliant fix that now others have incorporated into their OS's (that being an option to "Match Dynamic Range" and "Match Frame Rate"). Lesson? Don't be afraid to admit screw ups Apple. We all make mistakes. Just own it and fix them!!!

Jan 29, 2024 10:18 AM in response to Iluma

I have an iPhone 13 Pro. I have been using wireless charging for at least 2 years. Never had any problem. Use the UCOMX Nano 3 in 1 Wireless Charger for iPhone,Magnetic Foldable 3 in 1 Charging Station. It still works to charge my ipod pro, my iwatch and I can feel the magnet connect to the iphone, but it does not charge. All this started right after the update to 17.3. Again never had any problem before.

I have tried all the suggestions, power down, reset, unplug charger and plug back in, green energy mode, low power mode, etc.

No success

Jan 15, 2024 12:59 AM in response to Iluma

Me too! I use a MagSafe charger overnight. When I put it on the charger last night it was fine, charging. An hour or two later it stopped. This is BAD because my phone is my alarm clock and I play white noise to sleep so the sound playing depletes the battery quickly and it goes dead without warning! Last night I did a hard reset. Everything seemed to be working (charged it several times on a puck charger to verify it was charging during the day) until tonight the same thing happened again!!! The good news is tonight and last night I have been woken up by the noise stopping and been able to do something. The bad news is I have a long shift tomorrow and here I am cable charging my phone, doing resets, and searching for answers in the middle of the night. This is the second night in a row this thing has deprived me of an hour or more of sleep. I had this issue once before and the next update seemed to fix it. Everything was fine until my phone attempted to download ios 17.2.1 last night. Probably went dead in the middle of the update. Downloaded it properly this morning but again, 4 am and here we are.

Jan 14, 2024 1:56 PM in response to Iluma

Just copied in my reply to another thread and another contributors reply...

I have a similar issue. I had my iPhone 14 on a charger as I do ever night. A Belkin magsafe boost wireless charging pad. In the morning I had a notification for software update, 17.2.1, so I updated. All was fine, and again that evening I put my phone on the charge but this morning when I woke is was at 16%. I noticed that it was connecting and disconnecting but percentage never increased. I have a second identical charger and tried it, same thing. I then tried removing my otterbox case, and tried it straight on the phone, still the same. Finally I plugged a charge cable into the port and it charges. I have contacted apple support, explained all of this, they suggested a hard reset, I have since done that and still no change, so I am going to speak again with them, and if I get it sorted I will let you all know.

So I contacted support again to update them on the issue that still persists. I was told to wipe my device and start again. I told them I would not be doing this, (I’m not wasting my time) They also offered me an appointment at store to inspect hardware, I told them I’ll wait and see if new update comes along and I can charge by plugging in while I wait, I’m also busy! Also asked if they could confirm that there is an issue with the update. They didn’t confirm this. I have searched for a bit online and read threads that this update was to fix problems with charging and battery issues. Others have lost the ability to connect to their network operator, tho they seem to be possibly in USA or other parts of the world, I’m in UK, Northern Ireland if it has any bearing. Reading between the lines there is a 17.3 update on the horizon and maybe be released in next couple of weeks. I’m hoping this will fix this. I’ve also tweeted Apple and media to see if it catches any traction. Again I’ll keep you posted.

Jan 14, 2024 1:12 PM in response to JayFlyin

15 pro max. Turned off Clean Energy Charging, and restarted phone. No issues since so far.

Jan 2, 2024 7:27 PM in response to DoDiddilyDo

Doing some web searching, I was able to confirm that my wireless charger is Qi certified (QI cert ID 10692) and made in 2020. So, it’s not some old tech model that I should have to replace because it’s outdated... It is a [QI-10692] mophie - mophie 3-in-1 wireless charging stand.

Apple breaking the compatibility with iOS 17.2 is not a good move.

Dec 17, 2023 4:25 AM in response to PatrickRayes

Hello, thank you for a reply. 

I have tried my older iPhone SE (2020) with iOS 17.1.1 and it is charging on Xiaomi wireless charger. Then I have updated to iOS 17.2 and it is working. But iPhone 14 does not charge on that same charger. I have also tried samsung phone and everything is fine. 

Just to add that my iPhone 14 is new, bought it a month ago. And in one month of use never had a problem with charging on Xiaomi wireless charger until iOS 17.2

Third party charger not working on iPhone 14 after iOS 17.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.