Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro is stuck on "Sync (Step 2 of 4) - Preparing to Sync"

Details:

iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.2.1 connected via Lightning-to-USB-C cable to MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max running macOS Ventura 13.6.3

Problem:

Syncing (see screenshot above) seems to be stuck here. I have tried this several times, just in the course of trying to update the iPhone to iOS 17.2.1, which I was intending to do as usual via Finder. Trying to cancel the sync so as to proceed to the update didn't work; the update got to a point where it wanted to know whether to cancel the sync and proceed with the update, or let the sync continue. Unchecking Automatic Sync on connection, then reconnecting also didn't work; after reconnecting the Sync ran nevertheless. I finally ended up installing the update wirelessly instead, and have now returned to attempting to sync while connected to the Mac, in the hopes that the update might have changed something. With respect to taking ages to get past step 2, it evidently didn't.

Now I'm wondering what processes are involved so that I can see in the Activity Monitor what might be stuck. I did notice -- or think I did (after trying so often one isn't sure of anything anymore) -- that I wasn't prompted to enter the passcode on the iPhone to OK the connection to the Mac.

Suffice to say, I have tried some of the solutions mentioned in similar threads, e.g., turning off Bluetooth and Hotspot, and turning on Airplane Mode on the iPhone, all to no avail.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 6:15 AM

This is a known bug that (yet again) has reared its ugly head with the last round of major updates (iOS, macOS, watchOS). I'm on Ventura as well, but people running Sonoma have had this same issue.

It stems from the running process MDCrashReportTool - the process that gathers the error logs from the iPhone (from app crashes and what not) and ultimately deletes them from the device upon a successful sync. However, something with one of these recent updates has affected that process.

To finish the sync to "completion", use Activity Monitor to find that process name and force-quit it - the iPhone will then skip that step in attempting to transmit the error logs, and proceed onto syncing Contacts and Calendar info. (hence "completion" in quotes, it's not a complete sync as those logs will still be on the iPhone)

Myself (and others) have pointed out that this is seemingly more common amongst those who have an Apple Watch paired with the iPhone. Personally, I wasn't having any sync issues until updating each to iOS 17.2 and watchOS 10.2 (respectively). Once I removed my Apple Watch pairing, syncing the iPhone via USB performed as per usual each and every time the iPhone was connected.

When the Watch was paired again with the iPhone, the sync issue returned.

Advice - fill out a bug report here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone/

The more people who report this, the more likely it will get onto Engineering's radar.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2023 6:15 AM in response to Richard Liu

This is a known bug that (yet again) has reared its ugly head with the last round of major updates (iOS, macOS, watchOS). I'm on Ventura as well, but people running Sonoma have had this same issue.

It stems from the running process MDCrashReportTool - the process that gathers the error logs from the iPhone (from app crashes and what not) and ultimately deletes them from the device upon a successful sync. However, something with one of these recent updates has affected that process.

To finish the sync to "completion", use Activity Monitor to find that process name and force-quit it - the iPhone will then skip that step in attempting to transmit the error logs, and proceed onto syncing Contacts and Calendar info. (hence "completion" in quotes, it's not a complete sync as those logs will still be on the iPhone)

Myself (and others) have pointed out that this is seemingly more common amongst those who have an Apple Watch paired with the iPhone. Personally, I wasn't having any sync issues until updating each to iOS 17.2 and watchOS 10.2 (respectively). Once I removed my Apple Watch pairing, syncing the iPhone via USB performed as per usual each and every time the iPhone was connected.

When the Watch was paired again with the iPhone, the sync issue returned.

Advice - fill out a bug report here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone/

The more people who report this, the more likely it will get onto Engineering's radar.

Dec 20, 2023 7:16 AM in response to Richard Liu

Richard Liu wrote:

Maybe the newest version of Sonoma, for which there isn't a newer one for Ventura, addresses it, but 17.2.1 doesn't.

Apparently it doesn't - reading through other posts (on the same subject), there were plenty of users running Sonoma having this exact same bug.

(I can't update to Sonoma - 2017 Intel iMac here)

That's why given the number of users experiencing this now, something with iOS 17.2 and/or watchOS 10.2 changed and inadvertently triggered this bug.

iPadOS 17.2 is not seemingly subject to this bug - just personally tested it, went from Step 3 (where the troublesome MDCrashReportTool step occurs) to Step 4 (sync Contacts and Calendars) in no time and completed normally:

Considering that Apple Watches are paired only to iPhones (iOS) and not iPads (iPadOS), this is leading many to conclude that something with iOS and/or watchOS is behind this...

Jan 28, 2024 10:02 AM in response to Steve A.

Repeated the process with iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.3 connected to MacBook Pro 16" M1 running macOS 13.6.4. (Apple Watch 9 paired with iPhone runs WatchOS 10.3). Seemed stuck on step 2 of 4 preparing to sync. After about 5 minutes, while I was watching MDCrashReportTool in the Activity Monitor %CPU and CPU Time suddenly "woke up" and, checking back in the finder, the sync had finished.

So it seems that some change(s) in (macOS 14.3 OR 13.64) AND/OR iOS 17.3 AND/OR WatchOS 10.3 have fixed the problem. Has anybody updated to just one of these and seen the problem disappear? How about just updating macOS and iOS but not WatchOS?

Jan 28, 2024 3:54 AM in response to islandmacman

Is your Spotlight (drive indexing) working? I constantly had problems with Spotlight not properly indexing drives for search and the same day I fixed that problem (after macOS 14.3 and iOS 17.3 updates), sync began to work again. These two issues may be related.

In the Terminal app you can force Spotlight to re-index using these four commands. Do not change the name of the volume "data" in the Terminal command, that will automatically clear Spotlight on "data" partition no matter what the volume is actually named.

sudo mdutil -E /

sudo mdutil -i on /

sudo mdutil -i on /System/Volumes/Data

sudo mdutil -E /System/Volumes/Data

HOW TO EXERCISE CONTROL OVER SPOTLIGHT INDEXING ON YOUR MAC

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/39844-how-to-exercise-control-over-spotlight-indexing/

macOS Sonoma spotlight search does not find applications

macOS Sonoma spotlight search does not fi… - Apple Community

Dec 20, 2023 7:02 AM in response to Steve A.

Thanks, Steve. By a curious coincidence I came to the same conclusion. After concluding that the syncing was stuck, I attempted to exit gracefully by ejecting the iPhone. When the warning appeared that syncing and I insisted that the iPhone should be ejected, the message beneath the barber's pole changed to confirm stopping the syncing, but then seemed to be just as stuck as before. So I literally pulled the plug, thereby provoking the crash of MDCrashReportTool. When I reconnected the iPhone, the rest of the sync steps completed quickly.

I will do as you advise and fill out a bug report. Yeah, after upgrading to 17.2 I didn't have any reason to connect the two machines until upgrading to 17.2.1, so just now stumbled on it. Maybe the newest version of Sonoma, for which there isn't a newer one for Ventura, addresses it, but 17.2.1 doesn't.

Dec 30, 2023 12:20 PM in response to Steve A.

I had the same problem syncing my iPhone and stalled at step 2. I can vouch for the step of Force Quitting the MDCrashReportTool in Activity Monitor and watching the syncing finish to completion after doing it. I did have a first gen Apple Watch which I removed from the account just recently to enable certain security features and have iOS 17.2.1 M1 Max with Sonoma 14.2.1.

Dec 30, 2023 1:24 PM in response to hbglvASC

Somebody else replied about his experience with beta versions of iOS and macOS but I suspect Apple removed the reply as conjecture, or because it somehow violates a stipulation for beta testing. At any rate, it might be that watchOS is the culprit, as it, too, certainly creates crash logs that should somehow be saved, just like those generated by crashes on the iPhone.

Jan 14, 2024 4:54 PM in response to Richard Liu

I spent two and a half hours with support and it was in vain. I even talked with two supervisors. I'm a MacOS 14 user, so I don't even have iTunes, and if both Windows with iTunes and MacOS are having the same problem and everyone has iOS 17, I don't understand how Apple Support can't realize they need to fix iOS.

I tried switching the Watch off and that didn't work, only the force quitting of MDCrashReportTool worked... but then oh boy, not all my music is syncing even though I have specifically selected all music and have plenty space. Tried with less albums and the same thing happened. Support went as far as telling me that it was because it wasn't music bought at Apple Music (none of my music is so not even one track should have gone through in that case). I'm so going back to Windows and Android if this doesn't get fixed soon.

Jan 27, 2024 8:49 PM in response to Richard Liu

How long did you give it before force-quitting MDCrashReportTool?

One of the recent updates seemingly fixed it (on my end, at least). The initial sync (when first connecting via USB) does appear to hang at Step 3 at first, but after waiting about 5 minutes or so, the process finished automatically to completion without the need to access Activity Monitor.

iPhone 13 Pro is stuck on "Sync (Step 2 of 4) - Preparing to Sync"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.