Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Timer sound continues playing after quitting Clock app

I set a timer in the Clock app and when it went off, I closed my MacBook. When I opened it later, the alarm sound was still playing. I quit the clock app in an attempt to turn the sound off, but now the sound is still playing and cannot be turned off. How do I make this stop? There is no notification to dismiss. I don't use Siri, and I don't want to restart my computer.

On Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B92)

Also, annoyingly, hitting Enter doesn't start a timer after inputting time. You have to tab to the Start button and hit Spacebar, which is very user unfriendly.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 10:28 PM

5 replies

Dec 21, 2023 12:51 PM in response to xfilesx

xfilesx wrote:

I set a timer in the Clock app and when it went off, I closed my MacBook.

When I opened it later, the alarm sound was still playing. I quit the clock app in an attempt to turn the sound off, but now the sound is still playing and cannot be turned off. How do I make this stop? There is no notification to dismiss. I don't use Siri, and I don't want to restart my computer.

On Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B92)

Also, annoyingly, hitting Enter doesn't start a timer after inputting time. You have to tab to the Start button and hit Spacebar, which is very user unfriendly.

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies.

then Reboot as normal and compare your results

Maybe not close the lid when the timer is going off(?) I don't know, try something differnt.

if no insight or resolve—

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Timer sound continues playing after quitting Clock app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.