How can I update my payment method on my iPhone?

How can I update my credit card expiration date on my iphone

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 26, 2023 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2024 1:53 PM

I am having this same issue, but the responses above have not solved it. I have 1 credit card. That card is listed in apple pay and has recently expired, even though I have a new card with the same CC number that doesn't expire until 2028.

When I try to remove the card it says "Unable to Remove. Family organizer requires at least one payment on file." However, when I try to add the card as a new card, it gives me the error, "This payment method has already been added to your account." and it won't allow me to add or edit or update the card.

So I cannot update my card expiration date manually. But I cannot delete the old card without adding my new one, and I cannot add my new one while the previous one is still listed on the account as a payment method. This is frustrating. Help!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2024 1:53 PM in response to schootchcct

I am having this same issue, but the responses above have not solved it. I have 1 credit card. That card is listed in apple pay and has recently expired, even though I have a new card with the same CC number that doesn't expire until 2028.

When I try to remove the card it says "Unable to Remove. Family organizer requires at least one payment on file." However, when I try to add the card as a new card, it gives me the error, "This payment method has already been added to your account." and it won't allow me to add or edit or update the card.

So I cannot update my card expiration date manually. But I cannot delete the old card without adding my new one, and I cannot add my new one while the previous one is still listed on the account as a payment method. This is frustrating. Help!

Dec 26, 2023 5:31 PM in response to schootchcct

To update your credit card expiration date on your iPhone, follow these:

1. Open the Settings App:
  2. typically found on your home screen.
  3. Tap on your Apple ID:
  4. Scroll down and tap on your Apple ID at the top of the Settings menu.
  5. Select "Payment & Shipping":
  6. In the Apple ID menu, tap on "Payment & Shipping." This option may vary slightly based on your region.
  7. Enter Your Apple ID Password:
  8. If prompted, enter your Apple ID password to access the payment information.
  9. Update Payment Information:
  10. Under the "Payment Methods" section, you should see your current credit card information. Tap on the card you want to update.
  11. Edit the Expiration Date:
  12. Find the expiration date field and update it with the new expiration date of your credit card.
  13. Save Changes:
  14. After updating the expiration date, save the changes. You might need to confirm the changes with Touch ID, Face ID, or your Apple ID password, depending on your device settings.

Jan 8, 2024 9:16 PM in response to schootchcct

Same issue, my card has the same number, but I have a new card with new expiration and cvv, there is no field to update expiration and cvv. I can’t delete the old card because there are active subscriptions , and I can’t add the same card again and then delete the old one because it says you can’t delete old card. So check mate, I don’t have another credit card for this purpose. Whatya want me to do dear Apple?

Jan 9, 2024 4:35 PM in response to schootchcct

So, multiple posters have indicated they could not do what I did, which was add the new card with the same CC number and new expiration and security code before deleting the expired card. I cannot swear to it, but I believe I performed this task using the Apple Wallet app on my iPhone as opposed to using my iCloud or iTunes account. Perhaps that is the key to the discrepancy. I believe I used the Wallet app because I remember taking a photo of the card to enter it.

How can I update my payment method on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.