Why am I getting an error that my card I use with Apple Pay is expired but it doesn’t expire for more than a year?

I am all of a sudden getting an error when trying to use Apple Pay. It says expired but it’s not.

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2024 7:14 PM

can you explain what you mean by ‘use a 4 digit number for the year’?

when manually entering my card numbers, i’m not given the option to type in the year. i have to scroll through options and stop on the correct month/year.

18 replies

Jan 5, 2024 10:47 AM in response to reanna260

This is an ongoing issue. The work around is to add another payment method using a four digit expiration date. Remove the problematic card. Restart iPhone. Add problematic card to account using four digit expiration date. Secondary payment method may be removed if desired.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

Remove a payment method from your Apple ID - Apple Support

You’ll be required to add a second payment method because of the subscriptions.

May 1, 2024 12:49 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Hi Jeff, I think that there is some missunderstanding ...

I have the same problem when adding card to Apple Wallet for ApplePay and get "Incorrect expiry date" ... However, when I add the same card to "Apple ID / Add new payment method" the same card is added without any issues.

I believe this issue "Incorrect expiry date" is exclusively related to Apple Wallet when adding card to ApplePay.

In this flow user does not choose how expiry date is entered, it is automatically entered if you scan a card. I've tried both over my iPhone 14 Plus and MacBook Air M2 and it is just not working. Interesting thing is if I enter different expiry date than one from card I get correct message "Invalid card" so Issuer has confirmed my card does not have that wrong expiry date.

Interesting thing is I got my new card yesterday ... and everything else work, except adding to ApplePay. :-(

Does anyone have an idea on how to resolve this?

May 16, 2024 7:31 AM in response to skrznar

Just to update on this topic in cases when adding card to Apple Wallet for ApplePay and get "Incorrect expiry date".

Answer is to contact your card issuing Bank as they are validating expiry date of the card that you are adding to Apple Pay. So when adding your card to Apple Wallet for ApplePay and get "Incorrect expiry date" message double check if you entererd a correct card expiry date. If you did you need to call your bank, they are having some technical issue.

Good luck all 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Apr 29, 2024 11:13 AM in response to aishath145

Please make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest iOS version, 17.4.1. I’ve linked to an Apple Support article below that has the steps for updating the iOS if you’re not familiar with the process.

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

Once finished updating, you can update the information. Are you trying to update the payment method in your Apple Wallet app or your Apple ID Account?

May 1, 2024 6:27 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I know. Here is the thing ... My previous card, I left it in the ATM 😁 so I reported lost/stolen to my issuer and they issued a new card with new PAN and valid ... I deactivated (on purpose) and removed all of my active tokens from both iOS devices and tried a new entollment to ApplePay. But both are failing, "Incorrect expiry date".

MacBook Air is running Sonoma 14.1.1

Funny thing is, from what I see as a user, Apple is contacting my Issuer to confirm card details. Because when I for example enter different expiry date than one on card or wrong CVV2 confirmation to Apple comes back as "Invalid card". But when I enter correct date and CVV2 Apple prompts "Invalid expiry date" so it must be received during confirmation and provisioning with Issuer. But Issuer does not see request logs from Apple.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 1, 2024 9:53 AM in response to Jeff Donald

the card was already added to my apple id. i was attempting to add the card back into my apple wallet after receiving the ‘card is expired’ message.

my operating system is up to date.

i have somewhat resolved this issue, and will detail what i did in hopes that it can help someone out in the future.

i called apple support and explained my ordeal. they informed me that when i removed my card out of my apple wallet in an attempt to re-enter my card details, i wouldn’t be able to add the same card back into my wallet for 7 days.

the same card that was attached to my apple id still wasn’t working, however. whenever i tried to download an app, it would give a ‘payment not complete’ error message. after going through all of my settings with apple support, they finally suggested that i reset all settings and attempt to add the card again to my apple id. this did solve this issue for me, and i was able to download apps.

i also separately went through my bank’s app and added the same credit card that was giving the ‘card is expired’ message back to my apple wallet and it’s been working fine since with no error.

since resetting all of my settings, i’m now getting an error message for face id, and that’s no longer working… which is a pretty annoying development. but at least my card is back in my wallet.

Why am I getting an error that my card I use with Apple Pay is expired but it doesn’t expire for more than a year?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.