Watch won't pair because it needs to update...however I keep getting the message "unable to check for update"

I was gifted a used apple watch. I factory reset it this morning before trying to pair it because it was still set up from the person who gifted it to me... I've seen a few answers saying to go in to update it through the watch, but I can't do that as it has not ever been paired to my phone. Therefore I cannot get into the watch to update it.

Now that I am trying to pair it with and set up for my phone, it comes up with a message "unable to check for update" saying that I am not connected to the internet. My phone and watch were connected to the internet and I have double checked this several times on my Xfinity app. I'm going in circles and I'm not sure what else to do. I've reset both the watch and my phone a million times, updated my phone to the latest IOS, etc. Help PLEASE!!!

I attached a screenshot below of the message I keep getting.

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 2:23 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Watch won't pair because it needs to update...however I keep getting the message "unable to check for update"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.