Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Pro Max making a faint pulsing static sound

Brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max makes a very faint static pulse (shh... shh... shh... shh...) randomly throughout the day. My previous iPhone 12 Pro did the same thing which leads me to believe its either an app or iOS. As far as I know my wife's identical phone doesn't do it, which leads me to an app. Is there a way to tell what app is accessing my speaker? Am I thinking about it incorrectly? I have seen posts with similar issues but never any resolution.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 11, 2024 6:30 AM

3 replies

Jan 11, 2024 6:45 AM in response to Shaggy_68

If you have enabled this try to disable it and check again.

Go to Settings > Accessibility > Sound Recognition, then turn on Sound Recognition. Tap Sounds, then turn on the sounds you want iPhone to recognize.

Recognize sounds using iPhone - Apple Support (IN)

Troubleshooting steps if the above did not resolve the (shh... shh... shh... shh...)

• Hold down the volume down and side buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. This refreshes the phone's memory and could resolve temporary glitches.
  • If you suspect a specific app might be causing the sound, double-press the home button (or swipe up from the bottom on newer iPhones) to see the app switcher. Swipe up on the app you suspect to force quit it.
  • This feature allows apps to refresh data even when they're not open. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn it off to see if the sound stops.
  • Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will clear your Wi-Fi passwords and other network settings, so be prepared to re-enter them.

Check app permissions:

• Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone and check which apps have access to your microphone. Consider disabling microphone access for apps you don't actively use or trust.
  • Similarly, check Settings > Privacy > Media & Apple Music > Consider disabling microphone access for apps you don't actively use or trust.

1. Is this your corporate iPhone? Then please contact the system administrator of your corporate
  2. If it is your personal device, in that case, do you have any profile installed by your corporate/organisation/enterprise/School Management?
    1. Erase the profile added by you If you have installed a profile on your own --> Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...
    2. Or please contact the system administrator of the organisation who provided the profile to you

Jan 11, 2024 7:23 AM in response to Shaggy_68

Good Morning! Thanks for your response. This is my personal device with no profiles loaded

I have already tried the hard reset, but will try it again.

I suspect its an app, but I don't suspect any certain app. I have a ton of apps loaded

Settings > General > Background App Refresh - Turned off a bunch of apps here

Settings > Accessibility > Sound Recognition - This was already disabled

Go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone - Turned off a bunch of apps here

Settings > Privacy > Media & Apple Music - Nothing was enabled here

I will listen for it to start again with these actions and report back in a day or 2 if I hear it or not.

iPhone 15 Pro Max making a faint pulsing static sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.