iPhone 12 Pro completely dead

Only 3 years old Jan 21 - Jan 2024. Never dropped or mistreated, always up to date IOS, screen protector and case always on, battery health was 99%, absolutely no signs of malfunction. On Jan 9, 2024 I plugged it in to charge with an official charger and cord, went back a few hours later and the screen would not respond, tried the 3 step revive, did the 1 hr charge again & NOTHING! I phoned Apple Support on my husbands iPhone XR, they step me through the same process, NOTHING. Off to the Apple store that day (12.40pm apt) to see one of the Apple Experts. They do a two step diagnostic, air out some minor fluff from the charging port but say the phone cannot be revived on the second attempt, it's dead. They point me to buy a new one or do a costly repair as it's out of warranty (of course it is, it's 3 years old). I ask what/why went wrong, they shrugged their shoulders & say they don't know what caused it to die and I was just unlucky! No trade in price given either as the phone cannot be turned on! Have not bought a new iphone, I would like to know why my perfectly fine in working order iPhone 12 Pro simply died. It's just not a good enough response from Apple instore, Adelaide, South Australia.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 12, 2024 3:39 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 12, 2024 3:51 PM in response to milena95

Honestly…there isn’t always a clear cut answer to this question. Sometimes tech gadgets die and it’s not easy to find the cause…especially if you didn’t have any issues leading up to it (like needing to charge the phone more often because the battery drained faster, any odd lagging or glitchy behavior, etc). If for 3 years the battery health read as 99% that definitely doesn’t sound right (not possible to have been using the phone for 3 years and health only dropped 1%) so it’s safe to say that info wasn’t accurately displayed. Could it need a new battery? Absolutely. And without that being done you couldn’t expect trade in value for it. It doesn’t currently work so it has no real value. Battery replacement is cheaper than a new phone but (although I personally would rather put that money towards a new phone if it were a 12 series or older). It’s definitely a personal decision but your options have been laid out…get the repair (which I assume is a battery replacement unless they just planned to exchange the phone under the out of warranty replacement price) or get a new phone.

iPhone 12 Pro completely dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.