Find My on my iPhone randomly shows old locations of family members

Find My on my iPhone is randomly showing old locations of family members. When I open Find My on my Macbook I see the correct, current locations. But on my iPhone I will sometimes get the current location, and sometimes get a location that might be hours or even a day old. When this happens the old location will not update. Sometimes later it will update to the current location, only to revert to the old location. For example, my daughter was in Florida yesterday but is back home. At various times today it showed her in Florida, then back home, then back in Florida, then back home. Similarly, my wife's location was current when I looked an hour ago, but now it shows her in a location from 8 hours ago and will not update. On my Macbook it always showed current locations for both of them. I have tried restarting the phone multiple times. WiFi and cell signal are good, and. It is on the current iOS, 17.2.1.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 14, 2024 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 6:09 PM

I am having this EXACT same issue. One of my daughter's Find My locations is showing where she was 6 days ago on my iphone 13, but all other family member locations are current. And on my Macbook, all family member locations are current, including that one daughter's. All software is updated. Any suggestions??

5 replies

Jan 14, 2024 11:36 PM in response to BullwinkleJMoose

1. Force quit the Find My app: swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle. Swipe left or right to find the Find My app, then swipe up on it to close it.
  2. Open the Find My app on your iPhone and pull down to refresh the location. This may force the app to update and display the correct location.
  3. Depending on your model, press and hold different button combinations. You can find specific instructions on Apple's website for your iPhone model.
  4. Ensure that your iPhone has a stable internet connection. Find My relies on internet connectivity to update locations. If you are on a Wi-Fi network, try switching to cellular data or vice versa.
  5. Resetting network settings can resolve connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will reset Wi-Fi passwords and other network-related settings.

Additional Tips:

• Make sure your family members' devices also have the latest software and location services enabled.
  • Ask your family members to open the Find My app on their devices and check if their location is updating correctly.

Jan 15, 2024 5:59 AM in response to SravanKrA

None of this works. I had already tried everything except for reseting network connections but that doesn't do anything. Please note that family members are updating and show current locations when I go to Find My on my Macbook. However, on my phone the location randomly changes from the current location to old locations. For example, late last night my daughter was showing here, then this morning she once again showed that she was in Florida where she was two days ago, and then later this morning showed that she was here. Her location has updated many times since she was in Florida two days ago, only to revert back to one of two places she was in Florida. I am also randomly getting old locations showing on my iPad. I should add that I am finding that iOS 17 is pretty horribly buggy all around. Sigh, for the days when Apple wrote good software, but that has been a while.

Find My on my iPhone randomly shows old locations of family members

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.