You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro diagnostic online session

I did macbook diagnostic

I want to do that on online

but always it says

"A session was not found for this device. Offline diagnostics are available and can be run by selecting "Run Offline Diagnostics". If attempting to run Apple Diagnostics for Self Service Repair, refer to the repair manual on how to create a diagnostic session."

How can I get a session and online??

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 7:21 AM

3 replies

Jan 24, 2024 5:09 PM in response to juhyun65

I think the "offline diagnostics" are actually the same as the basic consumer online diagnostics. Apple isn't very good a descriptions and dialog information. I'm not certain why you are seeing the message about no sessions found, but it is probably due to Apple allowing some devices to run the Self Repair Diagnostics. I don't think I've worked on any Mac which is compatible with the Self Repair Program yet. Apple doesn't always do a good job with their interfaces & messages, or documentation.

If you are able to run the Apple Diagnostics without needing to start any sessions, then you are running the standard consumer Apple Diagnostics that have been available for years and that is all you would have available if the Self Repair Program is not an option for you. I believe they have always mentioned "offline", but I don't pay attention to the messages since I just press Return if needed to run them.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 19, 2024 8:20 AM in response to juhyun65

It is not clear exactly what model of Mac you have and whether you are attempting a Self Service Repair. Apple's Self Service Repair is only available for a limited number of devices (probably only the most recent since this announcement was made by Apple).

The Apple Self Service Diagnostics page mentions that devices must be running iOS 17+ or macOS 14.1+ to be able to initiate an Apple Self Service Diagnostics sessions (Beta versions are not allowed):

https://getsupport.apple.com/self-service-diagnostics

Here is an Apple article regarding the new Self Repair Program:

https://support.apple.com/self-service-repair

Don't expect too much from these other diagnostics since they have become much simpler & less reliable over the years. Most times even the Apple service diagnostics will not reveal any hardware issues.

macbook pro diagnostic online session

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.