Adding a familiar location on iPhone

I’ve just downloaded iOS 17.3 and activated stolen device protection. If I want to turn it off, it says I have to wait an hour because I’m not at a familiar location BUT I’M HOME. How do I get this to recognize I’m at a familiar location?

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2024 6:51 AM

Same for me. I’ve had this device for over a year and I come home every night. Yet sitting in my living room is not a familiar place. I looked into my settings and found 3 recent examples of familiar places. One was work, one was a fast food place I had lunch at yesterday, and one is a store I was at for about 30 minutes. BUT STILL NOT HOME.

Come on Apple this is ridiculous.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2024 6:51 AM in response to Guadsquader

Same for me. I’ve had this device for over a year and I come home every night. Yet sitting in my living room is not a familiar place. I looked into my settings and found 3 recent examples of familiar places. One was work, one was a fast food place I had lunch at yesterday, and one is a store I was at for about 30 minutes. BUT STILL NOT HOME.

Come on Apple this is ridiculous.

Jan 26, 2024 12:22 PM in response to Guadsquader

I am having the same problem where I am at Home, I have Home as a favorite and it is recognized as a "significant location" in Location services, but trying to turn off Stolen Device isn't recognizing that I am indeed home and forcing me to wait an hour. Looking at the Maps app, it says I am "10 feet away" from "Home", which of course I am and the exact number of feet changes depending on exactly where I am sitting at in my home. I have tried refining the location in Maps but to no avail.

I have read all of the support links listed in all of the and everything is configured correctly that it should know I am at my familiar place at Home...what's wrong??

Feb 6, 2024 2:41 PM in response to SravanKrA

yes, my iPhone should know its home as its set as home on Apple maps. I commute back here 3-4 times a day and I sleep here every day. Basically, 70% of my day is spent here and when I just went to adjust face ID it puts me on a 1 hour wait because I'm not at a familiar location. being Apple I would have imagined they would have done a better job with the feature before they rolled it out. Also, the fact there is no way to manually add a location is such an obvious oversight.

Jan 24, 2024 5:28 AM in response to Guadsquader

Hello~ Click on and read the User Tip authored by *LD150* as it explains well…

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250007287*

*When at a familiar place (home, work) then only passcode is required with no delay.

The iphone learns your familiar locations from Significant Locations, and you may find that, for recently reset or newly set up phones, you may be restricted at home too until it has established your significant places for that device. Turning off or clearing Significant Locations in Privacy and Security, Location Services, System Services, will turn off Familiar Locations.

~Katana-San~

Jan 24, 2024 5:29 AM in response to Guadsquader

You may be home but your iPhone does not know that. Have you declared the location Home, Work, School, etc on your device?

Add or change your home address in Maps on your iPhone or iPad

1. In the Maps app, scroll to Favourites and tap Add.
  2. Start to type the address you want to set as Home or Work, then tap the address when it's available.
  3. Scroll down to Type and tap My Home or My Work. ... 
  4. Tap Done.

Add or change your home address in Maps on your iPhone or ...

Apr 1, 2024 11:49 PM in response to SravanKrA

I have a rural address without postal delivery, Maps is not happy with that. I've tried many times to edit my Home address and 'Refine the location on the Map', but the best it will do still tells me I'm still 5m away! Precise location is turned on, maybe it should be turned off, but that makes less sense.

It's a nightmare trying to use my alternate Apple ID. Previously it was much simpler to Sign out of one Apple ID and then Sign in to my other Apple ID. I'm abroad for long stays and some apps are only available in one region whilst not in another, I use app from both locations. When those apps need updating, I must switch between my Apple IDs.

Apr 18, 2024 12:00 PM in response to Guadsquader

I’m currently doing that right now. I didn’t know whether to have it on or familiar locations. The only thing that I think would scramble that up is even if you’re at home as if you have a VPN protection

Something in location services is not correct..

besides that I came on here to ask anyone else if they’ve had problems ever since downloading the latest version I lost my pictures to all my text messages. I lost a lot of information and unfortunately, Apple has not been a help whatsoever. They basically say oh you signed a waiver when you came in saying that you know we’re not responsible for Data what’s the point of having iCloud. Furthermore, they only allowed 10 iCloud backups from recent and it doesn’t have one eligible or prior to me going in and seeing them…

Another thing very, very important if people don’t know, I found out the hard way is that our contacts are assigned to our emails.

I have thousands of contacts in my Emails, Gmail, yahoo, etc.

If you happen to have a email on your phone or your device, they have the legal authority apparently to take all those contacts and strip them away as if you never ever had them.

When I went in the store, I asked them to and they all and we updated you to the to the most recent iOS. Well, I never do that at least three weeks.

To find out what all the problems are what everyone is experiencing, and then I decide whether I wanna update or not.

Excellent it’s I’m ready to buy a different device. I’m so upset with them. They are not calling me back. They used to call me back to never wait a long time. Said they were engineers and give me a call back. They never called. It’s just.

And I would highly suggest if anyone has AT&T to download or which carrier you have download the VPN protection it’s like $2.99 a month or something not much.

On AT&T, it’s called active armor.

I’m not sure what is going on what I do know is that my neighbor lost all her messages and pictures with her messages as well during that last update then the whole AT&T outage they had a breach when that happened

Adding a familiar location on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.