Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Remote Desktop locks the screen on connecting (and can't unlock)

Hi,

I recently upgraded a Mac Mini M1 to OS Sonoma 14.3. I was using this Mac Mini without a monitor and always connected to it using apple remote desktop. However, when I connect now (from a Macbook Pro M2, Sonoma 14.2, latest version of ARD) the mac mini immediately shows a locked screen (see screenshot attached) which I can't unlock via ARD.

(this lock fades in and out for a few seconds - after that it's just a dark grey - back screen that I can't get past)

When I hook up the Mac Mini to a monitor, when connecting via ARD, I can see the Mac Mini disconnects from the monitor (which says no signal, as if I where to unplug the HDMI cable). As soon as I break the ARD connection, the monitor receives signal again.

I've tried a couple of things such as removing remote management and turning it back on again, trying with the screen sharing setting on & off, ran a reset screensharing command on the cli, rebooting both host & client a couple of times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 12:19 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 18, 2024 6:43 AM in response to mercurial-cormorant

I had a similar issue. I removed one of the affected machines from ARD and when I went to add them again I was presented with a dialog box that I don't recall seeing before:

I have since found that selecting High Performance will lock the remote machine when it connects.

I checked the settings of some of my other devices and found that those that had High Performance ticked all suffered the same problem. I changed the Screen Sharing Type to Standard and that sorted it.

May 4, 2024 6:47 AM in response to James Ferrero

James, you're a gem (and probably a "Jim" too). This was driving me nuts as well.

The only way I could get control of the MBAir in the other part of the house was to quit ARD on the Mac that was controlling it. I can't recall clearly, but I think even force-quitting the MBAir didn't work—or maybe it did. 🤔 Can't clearly remember as I've got a mind like a colander. But obviously, force-quitting's not something you want to have to do on a regular basis.

I was trying to use ApplePay for a purchase and gave it a shot and it worked.

The bummer is that high performance is a good thing. On the controller's end, you have much better resolution and response. It very much felt like a wireless docking over wi-fi. All the more troublesome that each time I went fulls-screen on the MacStudio's 30" monitor, I couldn't get out of the remote MBAir's desktop. There was no obvious way to get out of full screen.

I'm glad to see ARD get a little bit of love with some new features, but hope that Apple can fix these bugs before they start to call them "features." 🤣

Thanks again for the answer here. Really saved me a lot of time!

[Edited by Moderator]

Apple Remote Desktop locks the screen on connecting (and can't unlock)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.