2016 Thunderbolt displays with 2016 M3 Pro Macbook

I'm looking to run two displays with my M3 Pro Macbook. The 2023 studio display is a little out of my price range, so I am wondering if I can run the older (2016) Thunderbolt displays, will they work with the M3? I can see the Macbook spec says it will run 2 thunderbolt sourced displays, but I would like to check if this includes the older models.

If so, would they daisy chain together, and which cables would I need?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 4:59 AM

6 replies

Jan 31, 2024 5:40 AM in response to mijbil

I'm looking to run two displays with my M3 Pro Macbook. The 2023 studio display is a little out of my price range, so I am wondering if I can an older (2016) Thunderbolt display as the second external alongside a new studio display, will they work with the M3? I can see the Macbook spec says it will run 2 thunderbolt sourced displays, but I would like to check if this includes the older models.

If so, would they daisy chain together, and which cables would I need? I already have the USB C thunderbolt adaptor.

Mar 16, 2024 1:27 AM in response to ThatGuyLeroy

The adapter will work for Thunderbolt 3 or 4. You don't need an extra cable to daisy-chain two Thunderbolt displays. Plug the first display into the adapter and the second display into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the first display.

Note that currently you need a M3 Pro or M3 Max processor in the MacBook Pro to support two external displays. Apple says the standard M3 versions will get the support via a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/04/14-inch-m3-macbook-pro-multi-display-support/

"Apple has confirmed to 9to5Mac that a software update for the 14-inch MacBook Pro will gain the ability to drive two external displays with the lid closed."

2016 Thunderbolt displays with 2016 M3 Pro Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.