Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Markup Options on Photos

This is driving me insane! I have the iPhone 15 Pro Max. And when editing a photo, the markup option is just maddening, to say the least! When choosing a shape, the shapes come up as a solid gray! What is the point of this? Obviously I want to circle an item for the sole purpose of the receiving person to see what I encircled! What happened to the outline options? And please, if you have the answer, give specific steps/instructions...I'd be forever grateful!! Thank you!

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 1:07 PM

10 replies

Feb 4, 2024 3:08 PM in response to gypsyldy

Here is an example: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255189852?answerId=259976965022&sortBy=oldest_first#259976965022

It is still possible to do it on an iPhone. The problem is, that Apple has moved the controls and forgot to put labels below the controls. Initially they will look all the same.

When you add a shape, there are four circles below the picture, as mentioned by alancito.

From left to right:

1. The circle to the left lets you pick the colour and the transparency of the border.
  2. The second circle determines the thickness of the border.
  3. The third circle controls the color of the interior of the shape. Set its transparency slider to zero for an empty shape.
  4. The rightmost circle determines the overall transparency.

Apr 7, 2024 7:39 PM in response to gypsyldy

Why has Apple made it so difficult to create a highlight border object when marking up a picture. It used to default as transparent and then you could expand or shrink a box with colored border to highlight text. Now markup creates an opaque object filled in with the color instead of a transparent object with colored border. This is so frustrating and instructions given in this forum are so complicated.

Apr 14, 2024 12:56 PM in response to drumbeat68

The suggestions recommended here worked for me...but now, when you want to use this now useless function, there's about 12 steps to go through to do it, and for it to work...Apple really screwed up changing the format for this. I can't make rhyme or reason why they even did this, or who it benefits. Why would anyone want to use mark-up to hide a feature on a photo? It's stupid, I admit!

Markup Options on Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.