Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

The ability to add shapes (squares, circles, etc.) to photos now had a solid gray shape and not the ability to circle or box a certain area of a photo. How do I change this?

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 1:01 PM

When I choose add a shape, I get the blue dotted shape on the picture to where I can move it. There is no option to change color, and there is absolutely nowhere an option to change to outline!!!! I'm using iPhone 15 pro max! This is maddening, to say the least!

10 replies

Oct 14, 2023 8:12 AM in response to Sam_Clemens

Hi Sam_Clemens,

We can help you with using Markup.

Here's some information on the options in Markup:

Use Markup on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Using the menu on the bottom of the screen when you're adding the shape, you can tap the shape's color and choose the option for an outline rather than solid shape.

Let us know if you found the right path.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Feb 16, 2024 9:31 AM in response to Sam_Clemens

It is still possible to do it on an iPhone. The problem is, that Apple has moved the controls and forgot to put labels below the controls. Initially they will look all the same.

When you add a shape, there are four circles below the picture.

From left to right:

1. The circle to the left lets you pick the colour and the transparency of the border.
  2. The second circle determines the thickness of the border.
  3. The third circle controls the color of the interior of the shape. Set its transparency slider to zero for an empty shape.
  4. The rightmost circle determines the overall transparency.

Feb 16, 2024 9:32 AM in response to Joys4me2

All the colour options are hidden (bottom right) the other colours pop up and you select ‘no colour’ at the left a clear circle with red line through it AND in the sand spot you also have to adjust the outline width of the shape you select. A lot of unnecessary steps in my opinion. Hope this helps. Otherwise call Apple Support and they will walk you through the process.

1 (800) 263-3394

Mar 25, 2024 1:24 PM in response to Sam_Clemens

It used to be so simple to mark something with an outline to highlight something.

Now - for what ever reason - Apple decided to default to big solid gray symbols, unless you spend a lot of time to remove the fill and change the color of outline + width.

But as always, Apple knows what's best for the users - so now this is ruined...

The ability to add shapes (squares, circles, etc.) to photos now had a solid gray shape and not the ability to circle or box a certain area of a photo. How do I change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.