Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

My iPhone keeps asking to use my location

I have weather widgets on my Lock Screen and Home Screen. Every few hours they show “—“ or “Location Access Needed”. When that happens I click “Allow while using App” in the popup and then when I return to the Home Screen I click Allow on the popup that says “Allow widgets from weather to use your location”. This works for a few hours and then starts all over again.

If I go into Settings and set the Weather app to “Always allow” it still reverts after a little while. No matter what I do, I have to go through this multiple times per day.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 2:01 PM

Also, it seems to have messed up my Apple Watch as periodically some off the apps (e.g. weather, music) disappear as well as the associated complications in the watch face. This update has really ruined the user experience

20 replies

Feb 6, 2024 8:18 PM in response to jenn

FWIW I tried steps 1 and 3 above, rebooting and resetting location settings. No luck.

One additional piece of data. When I notice the problem if I go into location settings the weather app isn’t listed. The only way to enable it is to click on the widget or weather app, which prompts me to allow permission. Then after that the weather app is listed again.

This all started when I upgraded to iOS 17.3 so I’m pretty sure it’s related.

Mar 25, 2024 1:52 AM in response to hnybeeauty

Hi,

I had this issue for several week. The issue only occurred on Apple apps "Weather", "Calendar", "Maps"I tried the below and none of it worked

• Restarted my phone
  • Reset location services
  • Ensured location services was set to "While Using the App" or "Always."
  • Updated to latest version of ISO 17.4.1
  • Removed weather widget from my apple watch watch face and re-added them
  • Totally removed the watch face

What I did then was uninstalled the above apps and re-installed via the appstore and for the past 7 days or so messages no longer apprear. Just make sure those apps are backed up on the iCloud so when you re-insall them (especially calendar and Maps) it restores everything as it was.

I hope this helps :-)

Apr 3, 2024 8:03 AM in response to Spunky8811052

Hi,

I had this issue for several week. The issue only occurred on Apple apps "Weather", "Calendar", "Maps"I tried the below and none of it worked

• Restarted my phone

What I did then was uninstalled the above apps and re-installed via the appstore and for the past 7 days or so messages no longer apprear. Just make sure those apps are backed up on the iCloud so when you re-insall them (especially calendar and Maps) it restores everything as it was.

Apr 3, 2024 8:04 AM in response to Slider1852

Hi,

• Restarted my phone

What I did then was uninstalled the above apps and re-installed via the appstore and for the past 7 days or so messages no longer appear. Just make sure those apps are backed up on the iCloud so when you re-install them (especially calendar and Maps) it restores everything as it was.

Feb 6, 2024 5:00 AM in response to sockethead

It sounds like there may be a setting or permission issue causing your iPhone to repeatedly ask for location access for the weather app. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

1. **Restart Your iPhone**: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor software glitches. Try restarting your iPhone and see if the issue persists.

2. **Check Location Services Settings**: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure that Location Services is turned on. Then, scroll down and find the Weather app in the list. Make sure it is set to "While Using the App" or "Always."

3. **Reset Location & Privacy Settings**: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This will reset all location and privacy settings to their default values. You'll need to re-enable location access for apps afterward.

4. **Update iOS**: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Sometimes, software updates include bug fixes that can resolve issues like this.

5. **Contact Apple Support**: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized troubleshooting steps or advise on any potential hardware issues.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help resolve the issue with your iPhone constantly asking for location access. Let me know if you need further assistance!

My iPhone keeps asking to use my location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.