Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Notifications silenced on iPhone when they are not actually silenced

I have my iPhone sitting on my desk facing me on one of those magnet stands. When a text message or a phone call come in they do not make any noise, no notification. If I'm looking a the phone I see the notification on the screen but no sound so unless I'm actually looking at the phone I'd never know there was a text or phone call.

The phone is not silenced and I don't have notifications turned off. I've also tried all the 'tricks' to get it working.

Part of me thinks that since the phone is facing me it thinks I'm looking at it and so will not make a sound but I'm not always looking at my phone :)

This has caused many many delayed responses to text messages and phone calls simply because I never heard a notification and I have to physically look at the phone to see if any calls/texts came in.

Anyone else have this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 2:05 PM

6 replies

Feb 15, 2024 5:18 PM in response to LD150

I tried turning it away and there was no change. I don't have an Apple Watch.

Just now Facebook Messenger, a new message came in, no sound. If I wasn't looking at the phone I would never know it was there.

There has to be a way to ensure sound notifications go off ALL the time. I NEVER want them to be silenced, unless I'm specifically in a mode, like sleep mode or DND.

This 'feature' makes no sense and is detrimental to everyday communication.

Mar 23, 2024 10:55 AM in response to LD150

I did all of this and nothing changed. A few text messages came in this morning with NO notification at all. The phone is not silenced it's not in a 'mode' sleep or otherwise. Had I not looked at the screen I would have never know they text messages came in.  

How do we fix this? I can't spend my life looking at the iPhone screen 100% of the time.

Apr 18, 2024 9:16 AM in response to FutureX

Funny that this thread also doesn't show up in my 'subscriptions' even though I've checked the little bell icon.

This is a big problem. There was a reminder this morning that made no sound and no indication that that reminder was notifying me! So I missed the reminder.

What's up Apple? Why are you hiding this problem?

Notifications silenced on iPhone when they are not actually silenced

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.