Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't register phone number with WhatsApp

I installed WhatApp on my iPhone SE 2nd generation. After start the app and tap Agree & Continue, I am prompted for a 6-digit code that should be sent by SMS to my phone number, which is shown as +1, my area code and phone number. (I'm in the US.) The problem is that I don't receive the code.

If I tap "Didn't receive a verification code", and then tap Resend Code in the next screen, I get this message: We couldn't send an SMS to your number. Please check your number and try again in 1 hour.

If I tap "Call me" I get this message: We couldn't call your number. Please check your number and try again in 1 hour.

I've removed and reinstalled WhatsApp a few times and I have gotten the same results.

I checked the Help on the WhatsApp website and one of the

requirements is: "Your phone must be able to receive international SMS messages."

How can I tell if my iPhone can receive international SMS messages?

Is there a setting on my iPhone that I need to look for and change?

Thanks!

iPhone SE, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 5:05 PM

Thanks for your quick reply!

In the Messages settings, MMS Messaging was On but Send as SMS was Off, so I turned it On and tried to register the phone again. I still don't receive the code from WhatsApp.

In the WhatsApp settings, both Background App Refresh and Cellular Data are On. All of the Notifications settings are also On.

I also send this info to the WhatsApp "Contact us" page. I received an email reply with a link that opens their web page with the registration instructions that aren't working for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2024 5:05 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for your quick reply!

In the Messages settings, MMS Messaging was On but Send as SMS was Off, so I turned it On and tried to register the phone again. I still don't receive the code from WhatsApp.

In the WhatsApp settings, both Background App Refresh and Cellular Data are On. All of the Notifications settings are also On.

I also send this info to the WhatsApp "Contact us" page. I received an email reply with a link that opens their web page with the registration instructions that aren't working for me.

Feb 10, 2024 8:38 AM in response to jimfromstreamwood

I got it to work. I went to a restaurant and tried the same steps I used at home. The phone wasn't connected to the WiFi in the restaurant like it is at home. When I requested the code, it showed up as a notification at the top of the screen within a couple of minutes. I entered the code and was able to register the phone.

So, I assume having my iPhone connected to my WiFi somehow interfered with WhatsApp's message that they tried to send to me. If that's true, then after installing WhatsApp, the user should turn off the phone's WiFi connection before trying to register the phone. That doesn't make sense, but it's the only answer I can think of.

BTW, my carrier doesn't have any special settings for receiving international SMS.

Can't register phone number with WhatsApp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.