Home Sharing Option Gone

I haven't been able to use Home Sharing between my Windows computer and AppleTV for months. It started when switching from iTunes to the new Apple Music App. I chalked it up to the preview status of that app, but now that it's official it still doesn't work. When I go into iTunes, the Home Sharing option is just gone, there's nothing to turn on/off. When I go to the AppleTV to look for computers, it says to turn on the Home Sharing that doesn't exist.

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 10:16 AM

1. The iTunes Application would have been entirely disabled when you installed the Apple TV app and other Apple apps. The new Music App is not iTunes. It does not have the same features as iTunes.
  2. The new Apple apps do not support Home Sharing. There is no way to turn it on, or use it from those apps.
  3. If you want to continue to use Home Sharing, uninstall the TV, Music and Devices apps, and use the regular iTunes application to enable Home Sharing.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2024 10:16 AM in response to frustrated_annoyed

1. The iTunes Application would have been entirely disabled when you installed the Apple TV app and other Apple apps. The new Music App is not iTunes. It does not have the same features as iTunes.
  2. The new Apple apps do not support Home Sharing. There is no way to turn it on, or use it from those apps.
  3. If you want to continue to use Home Sharing, uninstall the TV, Music and Devices apps, and use the regular iTunes application to enable Home Sharing.

May 6, 2024 7:34 AM in response to IanCUK

IanCUK wrote:

Does this not work anymore Set up media sharing on Mac – Apple Support (UK)? Admittedly im on 2012 hardware and only using Catalina on MBP and High Sierra on Mac Mini but have itunes home sharing enabled on the mac mini and MBP can use the library in Music and TV apps?

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/746029c1-6671-444b-a273-d087205a4462

On a Mac: yes.

On a Windows computer as per the original post: only when using iTunes. The new Apple Music and TV app's for Windows don't have the Home Sharing option to turn on.

Mar 20, 2024 4:02 PM in response to Phil0124

So it seems the conclusion is that Apple broke the Home Sharing feature by remote control. If I previously imported my own music (from CDs or my own recordings, not the store) to iTunes on one computer, I used to be able to import it to another (including it's extensive library data that I've entered), but now that feature is broken.

The only special case where it might still be possible is to get both computers up to iTunes 12.6.5.3 (which some older computers don't support) so that the iTunes can then check with the Apple Music store online to authorize me to share my own music within my own local home network.

Apr 13, 2024 1:44 PM in response to longwing70

If you want to use your playlists. for music YOU PURCHASED AND OWN, you now you have to subscribe to apple music for $11 a month. This is insane! I tried air dropping/casting to the old apple tv in the other room but it keeps vanishing from the list and is unavailable. This is quickly turning into a dealbreaker for me Apple. First vanishing songs/movies/tv-shows asking for you to repurchase them because of some digital rights snafu and now this.

Home Sharing Option Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.