You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden loss of iPhone Comcast email access

Since Apple update 17.3.1 my wife and I can no longer receive Comcast’s email on our iPhones. We can access our Comcast email using iPhone Internet browsers, but not the iPhone Mail client. I’ve twice deleted, rebooted, and reinstalled the Comcast account via iPhone Settings/Mail, but I continue to get “Comcast not available.” What happened and when will Apple fix this?

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 10, 2024 10:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2024 8:34 AM

Found this Great answer:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254833656?sortBy=best

Essentially, log into Xfinity email using a browser, select Settings upper right, Security, upper left check “Third Party” authorization.

It took four days and two new iPhones because it appears to me Comcast didn’t warn users of the security change. Special thanks to the above Apple Discussions thread!!! 👍👍

36 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 15, 2024 8:34 AM in response to PAZ-JRC-60

Found this Great answer:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254833656?sortBy=best

Essentially, log into Xfinity email using a browser, select Settings upper right, Security, upper left check “Third Party” authorization.

It took four days and two new iPhones because it appears to me Comcast didn’t warn users of the security change. Special thanks to the above Apple Discussions thread!!! 👍👍

Feb 12, 2024 5:04 AM in response to PAZ-JRC-60

Problem continues. Xfinity password works for browser login but in the Apple mail client every time I try to set up the Comcast email account I get the above flags! This is days wasted in frustration.

My wife’s same model iPhone is affected similarly but we never deleted her Comcast account. But her iPhone Mail client email appears to be queuing and comes in bursts hours and hours late.

Please help us understand what’s happening and correct it if possible. I depend heavily on my iPhone for family contact, business, and even hobby.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 17, 2024 11:34 PM in response to PAZ-JRC-60

Exactly the same my iphone 14 (with ios 17.3.1) will will no longer connect to my Comcast email. It stopped connecting on 17th February (morning)

Like others on this site I have tried turming the phone off, reinstalling after deleting Comcast with both variations of POP and imap but still 'No connection'.

I hope Apple will resolve quickly as it is starting to seem as though they till have a major with Comcast (Xfinity) in the near future if they don't.

Comcast have thousands if not millions of clients who could be very dissatisfied , with Apple, if they cant resolve SOON!!

Feb 18, 2024 5:40 AM in response to FelipeV

No that does not work either.

The iPhone will not now accept a reinstall of the Comcast email details, still saying cannot connect -so

clearly there is a problem with the handshake between iPhone and Comcast.

They really need to get their heads together and sort asap and issue clear instructions as to what we now need to go to restore faith in ‘the system’ - which still works well on other devices - non Apple laptops. Belief in a system is quickly lost when this sort of things happen.

Based on Comcast emails still working on other devices I reckon Apple must be the guilty party in this mess rather than Comcast - and it is likely that the Apple iPhone 14 Gremlin must have been fiddling with something ?😱😱😂😂

Jolly inconvenient situation for us all who rely on our iPhones🤬🤬

Feb 16, 2024 4:22 PM in response to FelipeV

Thanks for great questions and ideas.

The local ISP could presumably be the cause, but there is no delay if we access Comcast via a browser either on the iPhone or with a Windows machine. The problem is exclusively with the iPhone Mail client. Mail may be getting through to the iPhones in bursts regardless of the WiFi source. But the delays are pushing 24 hours.

The problem is we have no cell coverage in our home and so I can’t compare cell and WiFi in the home. In the bank in town either a burst downloaded or the iPhone Mail client functioned normally. I can’t be sure which but suspect it was a burst.

The router could be an issue but at this point I have constraints beyond my control that preclude doing much more than rebooting.

I so appreciate your insights and help! I’ll keep working the matter later next week as I will be traveling. Using other WiFi may help the troubleshooting effort. I’ll post on my return. Thanks again!

Feb 18, 2024 5:14 AM in response to FelipeV

FelipeV, Thanks for great insights! When I reboot the home router I get a burst of emails. When I leave home and get into better cell coverage or available WiFi, iPhone Mail is normal. It appears Apple or Xfinity changed something in early February that inhibits iPhone Mail flow via WiFi when Cell is enabled regardless of the quality of cell coverage. There is no coverage at our home. Once there I need to test by switching off Cell to see if Mail will populate via WiFi as it did before early February. More to follow next week!

Feb 19, 2024 11:03 AM in response to FelipeV

I now wonder exactly how to re configure Comcast Mail on my iPhone 14. There does not seem to be an option to change the ports in the set up of ‘Other’ mail accounts to do this?.

If anyone knows how to do this I would be pleased to learn - so I can attempt to reconfigure my Comcast mail.

In the meantime your workaround of forwarding emails addressed to my Comcast mail to another reliable email address works - Whilst inconvenient it is great as a temporary solution

thanks for that suggestion.

Feb 16, 2024 7:42 AM in response to PAZ-JRC-60

Well, it seemed like a working answer, but while the Comcast email account is established, the mail is stalled and is not downloading. Neither my wife’s nor my comcast email is updating from the iPhone Mail app, even when we pull! We both have allowed “Third party” sharing. It would appear our email is being trapped somewhere because a port or software setting that came with account set up is incorrect or no longer current. Can someone shed some light on this?

Feb 16, 2024 12:15 PM in response to FelipeV

Thanks FelipeV! We did checked on line and confirmed all port numbers are current. The problem only seems to be our iPhone Mail client. Browser email work well consistently. When I was in town at the bank on their guest Wi-Fi, I got a sudden burst of Comcast email via the iPhone Mail client. I would then suspect my ISP, but comcast email is good via browser on home computers as well as via browser on the iPhones. I keep thinking there’s a driver issue between Xfinity and Apple’s Mail client interface software, but troubleshooting that declines into a finger pointing exercise. Somehow the Mail seems to be stalling in the server somewhere because of a missing handshake. But that’s all magic to me. Again, thanks for you post. We’ll keep watching port numbers. 👍

Sudden loss of iPhone Comcast email access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.