Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Water is inside your charging port” warning

I was on a field trip (keep in mind the place we went to was a humid, rainy and kinda dusty resort) and while i was using a power-bank, it suddenly said the “water is in your charging port, kindly unplug” warning and I was a bit puzzled so I plugged it off and put it in again which led to the same message. I thought of blowing into the charging port to see if it’s dirt, once I blew into the port and plugged it back in the power bank it longer said the message. Is it normal and may I know what caused it?

iPhone 13

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2024 11:12 PM

The message "Water is inside your charging port" usually appears when moisture is detected in your device's charging port, which may be due to air humidity in a damp environment or the direct presence of water. Blowing into the port may temporarily solve the problem by removing the moisture, but it's not the recommended solution as it can introduce saliva or increase humidity. Here's what you should do:

1. Switch off the device: To avoid any damage, switch off your device immediately after seeing the message.

2. Dry the charging port: Gently shake the device to remove any water, and leave it in a dry, well-ventilated place. You can also use a small fan to blow air (not too hot) into the port.

3. Avoid direct heat: Do not use a hair dryer or expose the unit to direct sunlight, as excessive heat can damage the unit.

4. Allow the unit to dry: Wait at least 24 to 48 hours before trying to charge the unit again. Internal humidity may take time to evaporate completely.

If the message reappears, or if you suspect that water is still present after following these steps, it's best to consult a qualified technician to avoid damaging your device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2024 11:12 PM in response to morird264

The message "Water is inside your charging port" usually appears when moisture is detected in your device's charging port, which may be due to air humidity in a damp environment or the direct presence of water. Blowing into the port may temporarily solve the problem by removing the moisture, but it's not the recommended solution as it can introduce saliva or increase humidity. Here's what you should do:

1. Switch off the device: To avoid any damage, switch off your device immediately after seeing the message.

2. Dry the charging port: Gently shake the device to remove any water, and leave it in a dry, well-ventilated place. You can also use a small fan to blow air (not too hot) into the port.

3. Avoid direct heat: Do not use a hair dryer or expose the unit to direct sunlight, as excessive heat can damage the unit.

4. Allow the unit to dry: Wait at least 24 to 48 hours before trying to charge the unit again. Internal humidity may take time to evaporate completely.

If the message reappears, or if you suspect that water is still present after following these steps, it's best to consult a qualified technician to avoid damaging your device.

Feb 11, 2024 10:34 PM in response to morird264

Leave your iPhone in a dry area with some airflow. After at least 30 minutes, try charging using a Lightning or USB-C cable or connecting an accessory. If you see the alert again, there is still liquid in the connector or under the pins of your cable. Leave your iPhone in a dry place with some airflow for up to a day.

If you see a liquid-detection alert on your iPhone - Apple Support

“Water is inside your charging port” warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.