Low Call Volume iPhone XR

I have an iPhone XR and for the last few months have been experiencing low volume on calls to the point that it’s almost unusable as a phone. It has had times of going back to normal (ie, the volume being higher) but more consistently of late it’s been very low. When I use speaker mode it’s fine, very loud, but obviously I can’t use this for all calls. Volume is also fine if I watch a video/ listen to music etc.

I don’t think it’s my screen protector as sometimes call volume has been fine with this on. For the same reason I don’t think it’s simply the fact the speaker needs cleaning.

I've tried switching it on and off silent, turning the volume up and down, turning it off and on again, turning airplane mode on and off, sliding the ringer volume thing up and down and obviously keeping up with updates but to no avail.

Apple are suggesting I take it in but I can’t easily get to a store and am dependent on having my phone. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or tips please? Thank you!

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 11:04 AM

I have this issue now. I updated the software and restarted many times. Checked all

accessiblity settings and earpiece. Issue appears to be a software bug to me.

4 replies

Feb 12, 2024 6:20 AM in response to Ruthie_roo

You can only adjust the call volume while you are on a call. The next time you are on a call, use the volume buttons to raise the call volume. It should stay that way even after you've ended the call.

I can think of at least two reasons why the volume may be resetting. One, you have a case that doesn't fit quite right and when you are on a call, it manages to push down the volume. Or, you are actually doing it yourself accidentally when you're holding the phone. That's really easy to do.

Low Call Volume iPhone XR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.