iPhone 15 iOS 17.3.1 still overheating?

I have had the iPhone 15 for less than 2 weeks now. It would seem that no matter what I do with the phone, it remains hot to touch. Is this still a known issue that Apple have yet to fix?

Posted on Feb 13, 2024 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2024 8:21 PM

Recently updated ios to 17.3.1, for the past couple of days, it’s overheating even for normal use. RN, it’s overheated. Who else facing this issue in 15 pro?

36 replies

Feb 13, 2024 10:05 PM in response to neale208

📱Facing iPhone heating issues? Here's what worked for me on my iPhone 12 Pro:

1️⃣ Backup on iCloud/iTunes

2️⃣ Log out of Apple ID

3️⃣ Erase (Keep eSIM Data)

❌ DO NOT restore from backups! Set up as new iPhone. Wait 2-3 days - no issue! That Indicates...

✅ No hardware/ iOS issue

Now...

📦 Restore data gradually

🔍 Find app/settings causing heat

My experience says this is purely caused by some third-party app that you may have installed.

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Feb 15, 2024 12:32 AM in response to SravanKrA

This isn’t possible for me, as iCloud storage insufficient, and I can’t purchase more due to financial constraints. Also, I can not sit with a phone that does not have all my apps on for 3+days as I need those apps within that time. Surely this can’t be the only option. Also, all my apps are from the App Store, and my phone usage is within the recommended temperature range. The heat is mostly coming from the area right next to the volume up button. My background refreshes/app usage is also already set to the bare minimum. It is difficult to replicate as it happens when doing seemingly random things on the phone, like browsing, or reading. 90% of the time the device is hot to touch. Surely Apple must know by now what is causing this, as it seems to be a common problem, based on the amount of posts I’ve found that have been complaining about the problem, since last year October already.

Mar 2, 2024 7:40 PM in response to neale208

Yes! I just got the phone less than 3 weeks ago, set up as a new phone, I was very selective with the apps to download onto this new phone, starting from a few days ago it’s been overheating every time I charge with a cable, but almost not moving an inch with wireless charging. Even when I’m just browsing fb or watching YouTube without any background Po, it’s super hot! I don’t know what to do here, frustrated.

Mar 3, 2024 5:32 AM in response to Linz Lee

Just a complete disaster which started already with the 14 pro.. what a shame ..

some are saying that you should reset the phone as a new phone, then Install only one app per day up to detect which ones are causing the mega giga overheat..

my iPhone NON pro will wait until apple is again able to produce something working, not 10x more irradiating, and worth the prices..

but I will not wait endlessly.. this story is a complete fiasco

iPhone 15 iOS 17.3.1 still overheating?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.