Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Awareness of Fake Rabby Wallet app in Appstore that has Drained many people's crypto!

This has been reported by many people, but the app is still in the appstore. The problem is the Real Rabby Wallet (https://rabby.io) has an app under review by apple, so this scammer's approved AppStore App called "Rabby Wallet & Crypto Solution" is tricking people into thinking it is the genuine one, they enter they seed phrase or private key, and moments later all of their life savings, crypto belongings are GONE!

The Genuine Rabby Wallet not out yet is made by Debank, this fake one is made by some obscure company. What is very concerning is how a closed ecosystem like Apple Appstore would allow blatant use of the real logo, impersonating the real wallet, causing to huge amount of funds lost (I have seen well over $100k stolen already from the Rabby Discord)

Apple needs to take down this application and help those users, it has been up for 4 days, with many reports and reviews submitted (by myself and others)

The Fake Rabby Wallet Appstore Link: (They have since bought various fake reviews, just look at the fake names) Mine is not published but you can see one that was that says they are farming private keys.

If anyone knows how to escalate this with someone at apple, please do! Lets make sure no one else gets scammed! This is insane and should NEVER happen on Apple Ecosystem, how does a counterfeit Crypto Wallet make it on the appstore that just steals their money posing as the real one.

Here is the tweet from Official Rabby Account warning:

Here are just a few of the many examples of people having their funds stolen and complaining in the Real Rabby Wallet Discord.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 17, 2024 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2024 3:33 PM

I was also scammed for about 5k usd from this fraudulent app this morning. I have raised a support case with apple to see if theres any means of reimbursement as the app has been reported multiple times prior and is still standing 4 years now. Will provide an update on the case if anything comes from my report too.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2024 3:33 PM in response to ManoloDF

I was also scammed for about 5k usd from this fraudulent app this morning. I have raised a support case with apple to see if theres any means of reimbursement as the app has been reported multiple times prior and is still standing 4 years now. Will provide an update on the case if anything comes from my report too.

Feb 19, 2024 8:29 AM in response to ManoloDF

My wallet was drained 16K over the weekend. The app is still up days later even after reporting it. I can't imagine how many people have lost money via this scam. also noticed the app had one bad review, and now has recently been flooded with positive reviews... seems like the bots are doing their job of keeping this app alive and well. Strange that Apple can't pull the app down... Or that it even exist on the app store.

Feb 19, 2024 4:52 AM in response to ManoloDF

Hi there, I was scammed on February 17th 2024 at 07:30 AM. I downloaded the fake App since on the official Rabby.io Website it is shown that it is available. Only on second click you see that the real one is in Review by Apple.

So i opened the App Store and found the App, so I assumed review has passed and website has not been updated yet. So I used the Fake App and lost 24k USD, which is painful and I am so disappointed in Apple, that a fake App made it to the App Store prior to the real one.

I reported the criminal charge to our local Police Cyber Crime Department... Hope there will be reimbursement...

Feb 19, 2024 6:39 AM in response to ManoloDF

I was also scammed with this application, February 18th. I also filed a report through the appstore process, however it's limited to what can be said. The lack of formality and security being offered here through appstore is very disappointing, especially if there were legitimate reports to Apple for action on this fraudulent application.

Considering the already relatively rigid process for an application to be submitted and approved to the App Store, would Apple and others be able to trace this fraud scheme to the publishers, and help us retrieve the amounts?

Feb 19, 2024 8:32 AM in response to Vtreezy13

Fortunately I think it has been taken down, I cannot see the app anymore when searching, although it was up for at least 5 days, and that is a very long time that unfortunately took many people's funds. Hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more. They did have those clearly fake reviews with obviously fake names that got more weight than the few negative reviews published (3 at one point, then 2) so there is a huge flaw in the way that works.

Mar 1, 2024 12:58 PM in response to ManoloDF

Just so that everyone is aware, the REAL and Genuine Rabby Wallet was actually finally approved in the AppStore 1-2 days ago (it was under review process when the scam app was approved to change its name, branding, logo, into Rabby Impersonator)

The real Rabby wallet should always be downloaded following the link from Rabby's official website for best practices. It is also noteworthy that the Real Rabby Wallet will never ask for seed or private key, as that is not how it works. You sign with hardware wallet or other mobile wallet, Rabby itself does not hold keys for security.

The Developer of the Real Rabby Wallet is Debank and noted as such.

Feb 19, 2024 8:43 AM in response to ManoloDF

So the wallet that had taken the money has now since drained that wallet / transferred all the stolen money into eth.

Here is that wallet: 0xd50ea68a92bd1204bdd1a581da0ff03f1886224c

I can see 7 hours ago that they took my assets and exchanged them for Eth...

Looks like this is their new wallet: 0x2e8ed63103faa6bb2318bd4cd931f616e9b92054

Feb 21, 2024 11:13 AM in response to ManoloDF

this is pretty insane that this app was allowed to be published to the apple app store while the real app was under review. I expected a lot more from apples security practices, considering the rigorous process of getting an app approved.

apple needs to launch an investigation into this, and start working to track the hacker. there must be a fair amount of data on who published this app. its a really bad look for users to not be able to trust the apps they are downloading from the app store.

Mar 1, 2024 3:50 AM in response to Churchill42

why is it Apple’s fault that you don’t read before downloading something? why should Apple support know what crypto is? Even if they do, they are not paid for it, so nothing to do with Apple, it has to do with your own responsibility and acting and downloading everything from the App Store like a five year old child. Grown adults don’t have responsibility and try to blame someone else for this. You should be more careful, Apple isn’t responsible of you losing your “crypto” GROW UP

Feb 27, 2024 12:50 AM in response to syncinsync

I'm so sorry to hear what happened.

Apple has great support options, and you can chat directly with a staff member to get help: Official Apple Support Be sure to have your wallet address and the hacker's address handy, and let them know about the incident.

It's important to report this to the authorities as well. You can ask Apple to report it to the US security agency, which can help investigate further.

We're all in this together, and by working together, we can hopefully get justice.

Feb 23, 2024 5:12 PM in response to BaoQuocHUYNH

Yah, I got caught up in this scam to. Not paying enough attention to the fact the real Rabby wallet had yet to be approved. Don’t want to even discuss how much I loss.

needless to say, my conversations with Apple have been pretty useless.

most of the support don’t even know what a crypto wallet is.

so don’t think there will be much of an ability for reimbursement.

sucks,

Mar 1, 2024 12:52 PM in response to techredd

Even though you have almost a sound argument that the onus is on the individual, however thats like saying hey I went to the IRS website to pay my taxes and in the process a scammer was able to take my info from the official IRS website and take all my money. Apple goes thru a stringent process of making sure their apps are not allowing scammers to upload viruses or take peoples money. For the record, apples support is very well aware of crypto as the person I spoke to was extremely empathetic and knows how I feel loosing money as he himself has crypto. He even mentioned that the only way that this may have happened is that after Apple vets the original app that gets uploaded, the creator can then do an update to the app that changes the whole app. As in when the app was first vetted, they passed, and then once it was vetted they changed the app so that it could scam people. Personally I think there should be a process where when the creator updates the app it needs to go thru a review process. There is no denying that scams will become harder to spot on the daily esp in this new era of crypto/technology, but it is tragic that people are ultimately loosing their savings to someone that was able to upload an app to a vetted app store that has the highest of standards and scam people.

Awareness of Fake Rabby Wallet app in Appstore that has Drained many people's crypto!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.