Iphone 15 Pro going SOS frequently

So I have Verizon and I got an Iphone 15 pro over christmas. I am having an issue where when I am on the bus or train or car in my city (I live in Chicago), my phone will drop service and go into SOS mode for about 15-20 seconds then return. It has even happened a few times when I am just walking faster than normal. I am fairly certain it has something to do with my Esim and if I move faster than walking speed as it only usually happens when I use transportation, and it happens more on the bus, as the bus makes frequent stops and I noticed it happens more when I change speeds. I have found some people on reddit with similar issues but no fixes seemed to have been found. I stopped by the Verizon store and the person I spoke to also is having issues but with AT&T and other carriers, and said they went to the apple store and seemingly other carriers have an issue too and all with the Iphone 15. For possible fixes I have tried I have reset my network settings, turned my cellular line on and off, and yes I am on the most up to date software. I have done everything minus a full restore from back up, which I most likely wont do as the people on reddit with the same issue I have claimed it did not work and that takes up far too much time. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so are there any known fixes? Is this an IOS problem or a carrier problem? Is apple aware??? It is not the biggest issue but it is very annoying as I use public transit pretty much every day, and this issue has been persisting for almost two months, and the few software updates haven't seemed to address the issue.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 2:08 PM

Same exact issue. I believe it is a IOS/device issue with Apple. I have been through 2 iPhone 15 Pros due to this issue, VZW sent me a replacement phone, however it didn't solve the issue. They continually try to have me reset network settings/ delete reactivate esim but still no working solution. Don't try to work with customer service on problem solving because they just give you the classic credit of 15$ and send you on your way.

Apple needs to address with software updates is my best guess. You are not alone!

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2024 2:08 PM in response to Jayfor444

Same exact issue. I believe it is a IOS/device issue with Apple. I have been through 2 iPhone 15 Pros due to this issue, VZW sent me a replacement phone, however it didn't solve the issue. They continually try to have me reset network settings/ delete reactivate esim but still no working solution. Don't try to work with customer service on problem solving because they just give you the classic credit of 15$ and send you on your way.

Apple needs to address with software updates is my best guess. You are not alone!

Mar 14, 2024 12:09 PM in response to Jayfor444

I'm having this issue too, even when walking my dog around the neighborhood. I'm also in Chicago. I believe this issue may be isolated to iPhone 15 users on the Verizon/Xfinity network. It may also be specific to Chicago, as I've only seen these complaints come from Chicago users.

Last year, my husband and I had Verizon with iPhone 12's. No issues for years. End of year, we both switched to Xfinity (which uses Verizon's network). I upgraded to the 15, and my husband kept his old phone. I'm having the sos issue and he is not.

This would make me think it is an iPhone issue and not a network issue, however, I have only seen these complaints come from other Verizon users in Chicago--so I think more specifically, it is a compatibility issue between iPhone 15 and Verizon's Chicago network.

If you're having this issue and you live somewhere other than Chicago, can you please chime in?

Also, has anyone had this issue with AT&T or T-mobile?

Mar 26, 2024 10:53 AM in response to Jayfor444

I just took my 15 Pro to the Michigan Avenue Apple Store yesterday (3/25/24) for this exact issue. It’s been a problem since day one of owning this phone. I’m generally on developer betas, so I initially chalked it up to that. I switched to the standard iOS 17.4.1, and the issue was still happening, so I took it in.

The Genius Bar employee that helped me said he’d never heard of it. I had done all of the advised solutions - reset phone, reset network, reset eSIM, etc. The diagnostic test they ran showed the only issue was “low signal strength”. They sent my phone off, but I’m sure they will find nothing. I purchased directly from Apple, so I want them to replace it, but I’m not sure that will happen or fix the issue.

Apr 30, 2024 12:06 PM in response to Jayfor444

I've been having a problem with my iPhone sincetember 2023. The issue seems to occur when the phone switches cell towers during heavy data usage on the 5G network, such as during a Facetime call. When this happens, the phone's modem becomes unresponsive and takes a few minutes to start working again. I believe that this is a problem on Apple's side, I got it in Sep either with their software or hardware. Recently, I tried using dual SIM mode with two different carriers, T-Mobile and Verizon, and both lines went into SOS mode. When the phone is in SOS mode, the WiFi module also becomes unresponsive. During this time, I'm unable to connect to WiFi and have to toggle airplane mode on and off to restore the network faster.

Feb 23, 2024 8:13 AM in response to Jayfor444

Yesterday, was a huge outage for cell service across the Globe. No one knows why. Today the news is hush about it. I have 4 lines and only one went into SOS. It’s Friday, 2/23/24 and it’s still in SOS, even though they said it’s been resolved. I will stop by AT&T store and request them to get it out of SOS. If they can’t, I believe there’s something really bad that happened, or is happening.

Mar 5, 2024 5:55 PM in response to Jayfor444

I'm having the same issue with Visible/Verizon - also in Chicago. It's when using the phone's data and then the iPhone 15 Pro Max will just drop to SOS mode - data drops - and then 10-20 seconds later the service comes back. It's while traveling - and it does almost seem like it's a handoff issue between towers. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the 5GUW and then trying to switch to another tower without UW. It's really annoying. I'm thinking of switching but not sure if it's just a Visible/Verizon issue -- or all carriers.

Apr 14, 2024 6:39 PM in response to Jayfor444

Dropping into this thread late, but found it while looking up a solution for the same problem. I got my 15 Pro thru Verizon a few days or so before the big AT&T outage. When I first started experiencing this problem, I chalked it up to a coincidence with the natl outage. But I have continued to experience it, usually when I am in a vehicle or out on a run. It seems it is happening more frequently now too, multiple times a day, multiple times back to back. At random times while moving, service will switch from usually 4 Bar LTE / 5G to SOS for between 15 - 30 seconds then reset right back to its original service status. I’ll add that I am in Louisville KY. Getting really frustrated at this because it was never a problem until I upgraded to the 15 Pro.

Apr 27, 2024 5:46 PM in response to Jayfor444

Also frequently on SoS and I have AT&T. Have internet chatted with AT&T multiple times. Reset network. Reset the whole phone. Phone will behave for a few days and then go back to sos. Restarted my phone probably 300 times in the last 2 weeks. Will make apple appointment and then within 12 hours it will fix itself so I cancel. At my wits end. And not reassured that it’s either an apple or network problem as so many of you have had no luck with either fix.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 6, 2024 11:55 AM in response to baunit

Definitely not just in Chicago. I am in Central Louisiana and I am having this same exact issue except it has been in SOS for hours and my husbands has been in SOS for much longer and we have factory reset mine which didn’t work, reactivated both esims, turned airplane mode on and off a dozen times and it will pop up signal for a little while then bam back to SOS. Idk what the issue is but surely there will be a resolution soon because customer service and our AT&T carrier and Apple are no help right now!

Iphone 15 Pro going SOS frequently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.