You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook losing battery while off

Hello! I have a 2019 Macbook pro, and whenever I close it it begins draining battery faster than if it were on. I basically go from a full charge to dead in less than an hour. For some reason it is extremely hot and despite being off (as in lid shut and in sleep mode) the fans engage, and I am sure that's what is draining the battery. The battery in and of itself should be fine. Also, no background apps or processes that I can see on activity monitor are running.

I have tried...

1. A full reset/wipe of my Mac
  2. Reset the SMC
  3. Turned the laptop off with wifi and bluetooth off
  4. Gone to the apple store and run diagnostic check with no results

Something may just be wrong with an internal component meaning I would have to buy a new laptop, but as a college student that is my last resort.

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Feb 26, 2024 5:29 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 27, 2024 6:35 AM in response to corbin43

One common issue is that for a myriad of reasons, when you close the cover, your Mac fails to enter Sleep mode. this leaves it fully ON with the cover closed, and it will use up battery more quickly than expected and may even overheat.

As an experiment, choose "Sleep" form the Apple menu.

You should ALWAYS have the power adapter connected when AC power is nearby. Your Mac uses 'smart' charging, and will NEVER over-charge.

Macbook losing battery while off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.