You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

All my emails disappeared after updating my iPhone

After I updated my iPhone all my emails disappeared. I’ve googled and found out that I’m not the only one. How can I get my emails back? I had sooo many important things. Why this happened? So mad!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Feb 29, 2024 6:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:51 PM

Yes! Same happened to me as well. All most all of my flagged important emails are gone…somewhere and I’ve tried all the tips from everywhere. Plus with the update you can’t even restore data via iCloud on your computer. It does *** very badly

14 replies

Feb 29, 2024 7:02 PM in response to Anapaula-Goulart

Most current email accounts are IMAP accounts, and they reside on your email provider's server. All they do is sync to your iPhone. Make sure your mail accounts are still present and turned on. The act of updating iOS would not make mail disappear. You also have the option of deleting the account on the iPhone and adding it back again. That should bring your mail back.

Jul 29, 2024 12:58 PM in response to Anapaula-Goulart

This just happened to me but had nothing to do with an update. Every read email across my yahoo, outlook and gmail accounts served through the Apple Mail app, from July 25th 2024 to August of 2030 is GONE.

I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with yahoo. Who blamed Apple. Unable to recover any of them.

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple. We realized it was across all accounts. Even my daughter’s account that I monitor since she’s a minor. They said they can’t recover them.

I'm devastated. I just assumed paying for cloud storage meant stuff was safely saved in the cloud.

Mar 2, 2024 7:37 AM in response to Anapaula-Goulart

What exactly did you try? If you watched them disappear, then it sounds like something else. The deleting of the mail accounts and then reinstalling them should have worked.

If you have a backup of your iPhone that was made before you installed the iOS update, try restoring to that backup. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Aug 2, 2024 7:00 PM in response to Anapaula-Goulart

I had the same thing happen after setting up my new I pad air. All my emails were gone in all my email accounts, which were both some old AOL and gmail accounts. Spoke to apple support and they insisted that it was a server error with the email providers. Hard to believe both AOL and gmail servers went down at exactly the same time. The only common denominator was that this happened right after I set up my new Ipad. The representative insisted that he had never heard of both going our at the same time. Maybe he should have googled it.

All my emails disappeared after updating my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.