Can't approve Passwords and Keychain for iCloud for Windows

Beginning a few weeks ago, I was no longer able to use the iCloud Passwords extension for Edge on my main PC and a pop-up told me that I needed to enable Passwords in iCloud for Windows. Going in to iCloud for Windows, I found that Passwords and Keychain was off with an Approve... link underneath it. Clicking the link prompts a 2FA request on my iPhone and MacBook, which I authorized. I entered the code on my PC and it moved to the Signing In... screen, which then closed and there was no change to the Passwords and Keychain status. I've disabled VPNs and security software, and I've made sure that the PC is on the same network as my phone when doing the approval to no avail. iCloud for Windows is working just fine on my other PC and laptop. It's rather frustrating that there are no logs generated that end users have access to help diagnose the problem.

I've contacted Apple Support and they were supremely unhelpful as they told me to contact "Windows support" for help with this issue and then to come back to Apple with their results. I'm seeing that I'm not the only person having this problem. The PC in question is running Windows 10.

Posted on Mar 5, 2024 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 5:42 AM

So I think I found a fix. At least for me anyways...

I had to have both my iPhone and Windows system on the same exact wifi/network. Having same external (internet) IP address.

I have 2 vlans and internet providers. One I use for work, one is personal. So when they reach out the internet they have different IP addresses. I moved the Windows system, to same VLAN as iPhone and it activated without an issue. Once activated I moved it back and has been fine since... Well until next update probably...

So my guess it it checks your connection to make sure someone is not trying to get your passwords by activating it on a remote pc.

Hope this helps some...

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2024 5:42 AM in response to profane77

So I think I found a fix. At least for me anyways...

I had to have both my iPhone and Windows system on the same exact wifi/network. Having same external (internet) IP address.

I have 2 vlans and internet providers. One I use for work, one is personal. So when they reach out the internet they have different IP addresses. I moved the Windows system, to same VLAN as iPhone and it activated without an issue. Once activated I moved it back and has been fine since... Well until next update probably...

So my guess it it checks your connection to make sure someone is not trying to get your passwords by activating it on a remote pc.

Hope this helps some...

May 8, 2024 3:09 PM in response to profane77

SOLVED.... Use your desktop to connect to web using YOUR wifi or Ethernet-cable network. Use your iphone/ipad/laptop to connect WIRELESSLY to your SAME wifi network. In desktop, click the key-icon on top right to enable the passwords. You will receive a code on your iphone/ipad/laptop. Enter code on desktop window that requested it. And voila.... they both become active..!

May 8, 2024 3:09 PM in response to iUsmanRana

SOLVED.... Use your desktop to connect to web using YOUR wifi or Ethernet-cable network. Use your iphone/ipad/laptop to connect WIRELESSLY to your SAME wifi network. In desktop, click the key-icon on top right to enable the passwords. You will receive a code on your iphone/ipad/laptop. Enter code on desktop window that requested it. And voila.... they both become active..!

May 14, 2024 1:48 PM in response to profane77

Unfortunately, none of the suggested fixes worked for me, but I'm glad that they proved useful for other people. I wound up getting a new computer issued to me, and I was able to approve Passwords & Keychain for that computer with no problem. My phone and the computer were not on the same network, so I don't think that was the issue in my case.

Can't approve Passwords and Keychain for iCloud for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.