Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

ios 17.4 video scrubbing broken

I've recently updated to ios17.4 on 15ProMax and the video scrubbing bar is not controlling the main video screen anymore.

Open a video, tap the scrubbing bar and drag. the bar looks correct but the main video keeps playing and jumps back and forward.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 5, 2024 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 2:14 AM

A workaround is to pause the video before scrubbing.

18 replies

Mar 6, 2024 12:38 PM in response to Owen452

Having the exact same issue on 17.4. The video scrubbing is extremely jerky.

I think the underlying issue is that the video attempts to resume speed the instant your finger stops scrubbing but hasn't lifted off the screen. This makes the video jerk around.

Apple please just go back to the default behavior. If this is an intended feature, it's embarrassingly bad.

Mar 16, 2024 6:54 PM in response to Zorp4

I just noticed this same problem today, and I believe you’re spot on.

The previous behavior was that video playback paused when you touched the playback/scroll bar at the bottom, and then resumed once you were no longer touching it.

Now when you touch, the playback/scroll bar the bar itself pauses, but the video itself continues to play. And when you move your finger to scroll, the phone attempts to scroll through the video while continuing playback at the same time.

I really hope they fix this, because it’s quite dumb.

Mar 5, 2024 10:50 PM in response to Owen452

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. Video Scrubbing issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected a feature.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

ios 17.4 video scrubbing broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.