Apple Music app taking up too much storage on iPad

Apple Music was taking up over 4 GB on my iPad, even though I have downloaded no content. Frequent offloading to make room for updates allowed for the update but had no impact on the storage when I reinstalled the app. Recently I had to actually delete the app to make room for an update. After the update I reinstalled Apple Music. Now it takes up over 7 GB and storage is so tight the iPad's functioning is negatively affected.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 12:22 AM

7 replies

Mar 7, 2024 5:15 AM in response to Ingo2711

So I went to Storage and it looks like the 7 GB is music (red bar). I am basing this on the approximate portion of the 32 GB storage bar it makes up. I went ahead and deleted (again) Apple Music and the entire red bar (i.e. 7+ GB) disappeared immediately. I then restored Apple Music and the 7+ GB bar immediately reappeared at the beginning of the download. The downloaded only took a few minutes (I do have a large library in the cloud), but too fast to have included any actual music files. I absolutely have made no music downloads even before deleting the application twice in the last few days. And again, oddly the result of multiple offloads/deletions and reinstallations has been to increase the Apple Music storage space from 4+ to 7+ GB, ceteris paribus!

Apple Music app taking up too much storage on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.