Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No songs downloaded to iPhone, but storage still says I have > 9GB of music on the phone

I have subscribed to Apple Music since launch. Basically no problems.

Sometimes I download some music locally to my iPhone to be able to play if I am offline.

I have deleted all downloaded songs from my iPhone. But when I check Music Storage (Settings-General-iPhone Storage- Music, it still says I have > 9GB of music stored on the iPhone.

The Library Tab in the Apple Music App shows no downloaded music.

How can I get rid of the 9 GB of storage use which actually is freed up?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 1, 2024 3:26 AM

1 reply

May 3, 2024 3:41 AM in response to viking bear

I kind of sorted this out myself. And I kind of did not...

1. I deleted the App completely from my iPhone, but kept the subscrition.
  2. I then redowloaded the app to the iPhone and synced my Library again.
  3. I struggled a bit to get the library to sync, but after signing out/in and force reboot the iPhone, the library is synced. There are now, as before, no music downloaded to the iPhone.
  4. In setings, I can no see that music does not take up any storage space on the iPhone.I just got myself 9 GB of free space on the iPhone.

BUT: Over night, the music app has built up storage of data, and it now says I have > 5GB of music on the iPhone. I have not downloaded anything, an I cannot see any downloaded music on the iPhone. If I go offline, I cannot pay any music on the iPhone.

As far as I can understandm this must be a bug in the iOS or in the Music App, and I have filed a bug report to the iPhone team.

No songs downloaded to iPhone, but storage still says I have > 9GB of music on the phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.