How to purchase a movie when its streaming elsewhere.

I'm trying to purchase the movie "Heat", but because its streaming on Hulu, both my Apple TV and my phone will only let me Play the movie on Hulu. On my Apple TV I can navigate to a "How to watch" where I'm given the option to RENT the movie through AppleTV, but I cannot find a way to purchase it. What gives? Let me give you my money!

Also, I want to tag the topic but AppleTV does not appear in "stores", there is only the option for iTunes or App Store. Movies are no longer purchased through the iTunes store, you have moved this feature to the AppleTV app.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Mar 7, 2024 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 2:27 PM

Had the same question recently. After selecting the movie you want to buy, scroll down to the "How to Watch" section and it should list the streaming services as well as a Buy or Rent option in Apple TV. Hope this helps!

8 replies

Mar 7, 2024 12:50 PM in response to hcsitas

I meant no longer the place. iTunes is so…2019 https://www.techradar.com/news/itunes-shutting-down-when-and-why-its-happening. It’s not the go-to place for purchasing movies today...get used to it 😁

That article is about the split-up into separate apps 4.5 years ago with Catalina. It says nothing about buying movies going away. If there is a policy change for the Store, then that article isn’t describing any of it.

Mar 7, 2024 3:55 PM in response to PabloButts

If Warner Bros wants to change their sales options in the US for the iTunes Store, then they can do buy-only or rent-only for any duration of their choosing. Being a Warner Bros release, I think it would be more interesting to compare what is happening on Max than on Hulu.

Canada has this title as Buy-only.

UK has this title as Buy or Rent.

It differs by country. And it can be different again in a few weeks or months.

How to purchase a movie when its streaming elsewhere.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.