4k Apple TV not working with LG TV Volume.

Overnight, my Apple TV 4K just stopped controlling my LG TV. Everything working well the night before when I turned it off. Now the Apple TV remote will not control the volume. I’ve checked the settings on the TV, nothing seems to have changed. I off/on several of the remote access controls. Also checked Apple TV settings. Toggled the remote tv access as well, but the problem persists. I’m baffled. It appears this is not unusual, but I have not seen a fix or solution. I’d really appreciate a solution to fix this. I believe this is related to the LG WebOS being updated but would like to know if others are having issues too. 4K Apple TV using tvOS 17.2 (21K646) LG version 3.40.80. I have restarted Apple TV and even tried the relearning the remote and volume is only thing affected.

43UQ9000PUD,

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 7:02 PM

Absolutely. 17.4 shut out my LG magic remote completely, stopped controlling the Apple TV immediately after the update. Please fix this!!!

25 replies

Mar 9, 2024 11:44 AM in response to rglide

Whatever Apple did in this last AppleTV update seems to have annihilated several people's remotes, all of mine worked fine before the update. I then tried to add the remote and reprogram the buttons, but now I find going back causes a weird double-push that sends me out of the app. I even had it try to purchase a movie because it was doing something weird in the background when I went into TV settings. What did you do Apple????

Apr 3, 2024 12:33 PM in response to rglide

Since this started for you on 17.2, please ignore the 17.4 noise that your post evoked. That's totally different.

It's possible that your Apple TV's Siri Remote just went funky in a limited way. The ATV4K's Siri Remotes are known to just go flakey on rare occassions, and they need to be fully reset and then re-paired to the ATV4K device. I suggest you jump straight to the last procedure in this Apple support doc: If your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote isn't working - Apple Support. It's a quick process that can't hurt anything.

Mar 30, 2024 2:15 AM in response to rglide

Got two Apple TVs 4K, one connected to a recent LG 4K TV and the other one to a less recent Panasonic plasma TV.

Both stopped working on their TV related features: they won't turn on the TV and select the correct HDMI input when I wake up the Apple TV through the remote and the one with the latest remote with volume control won't work to change the TV volume. I tried both with the automatic setup and with the specific IR programming: the programming procedure seems to work, but the remote won't control the volume!

It all used to work perfectly before... 😡

Mar 28, 2024 8:58 AM in response to rglide

I have the same issues. for a period of time, when pressing volume up once on apple magic remote it would control tv volume and go all way up to 100%. and same if i press volume down, it would control lg volume down up to 0 just by pressing once.

samsung tv as well doesn’t get along with the setup anymore and from aptv cannot play sound on homepods anymore. restarted, unplugged tv and apple tv, still nothing…

all this worked well for last 2-3 years, now since day one of 17.4 not working anymore!!

4k Apple TV not working with LG TV Volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.