Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Upscale FCPX 1080p to 4K HEVC

I have a FCP project that is 1920 x 1080p. Can I upscale it to 4K i.e. 3840 x 2160? I don't want to select Apple Device... as that creates a .mov file. On low end 4K TVs the upscaling isn't very good like it is on a top of the line Sony TV. I would like to upscale on the Mac and see if it looks better sending it straight to my 4K TV so no scaling needs to be done. I can buy Compressor if that will work. Also it must be a .mp4 file since most TVs do now recognize .mov files. It can be either H.264 or HEVC. I don't want to buy another application or a web service. If it can be done in FCP or Compressor a screen shot of the setting would be great.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 6:17 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 11, 2024 7:05 PM in response to Mike Retondo

Oh I forgot if you pick Apple Devices you can't choose 3840 x 2160 to upscale. But knowing about the .mp4 renaming will come in handy in the future. I see a lot of third party apps that can do the upscaling but I don't know which one is the best plus if I'm going to spend money I would rather pay for Compressor if it can do it.

Also I tried VLC and it worked I think. I'm confused by Resolution and Current Size, there not the same, any idea?

Upscale FCPX 1080p to 4K HEVC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.