Sony Bravia TV remote stopped working with Apple TV

I used to be able to control Apple TV with my Sony Bravia TV remote. All of a sudden, two days ago, it stopped working. I have done everything. I can still turn Apple TV on and off but I could no longer navigate. When I try "Learn Remote", it doesn't recognize it. I'm not sure if there was a software update that created this issue.

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2024 7:29 PM

Update - I found threads on other websites where people were discussing this issue from just this week - some said after the most recent software push 17.4. People were reporting the same thing on other brand TV remotes...Samsung, Panasonic you name it. Some of them sent a bug report to Apple. So I'm sure it'll get fixed. Good thing is it's not just us with the Sony remotes - kind of relieving, because was starting to wonder about my TV.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2024 7:29 PM in response to Stonybrook2024

Update - I found threads on other websites where people were discussing this issue from just this week - some said after the most recent software push 17.4. People were reporting the same thing on other brand TV remotes...Samsung, Panasonic you name it. Some of them sent a bug report to Apple. So I'm sure it'll get fixed. Good thing is it's not just us with the Sony remotes - kind of relieving, because was starting to wonder about my TV.

Mar 17, 2024 5:19 PM in response to Stonybrook2024

I’m going through the same issue. Out of the blue it wasn’t working. I reprogrammed the Sony remote and realized one thing interesting. The remote can not control the apple device unless it’s directly pointed to the device. My apple device is behind the screen and it appears the Sony remotes IR signal isn’t able to penetrate the screen. I will make an attempt contact apple support to see if there’s a work around for this issue.

Mar 21, 2024 8:36 PM in response to Stonybrook2024

I had the same issue, starting March 20, after updating my ATV to 17.4 ; the sony bravia remote is no longer connect to the ATV, must used 2 remote instead of 1, quite annoying. Do everything recommend on web, factory reset, learning remote, still can't.

I wonder when Apple Support will fixed this issue, and why the supporting team never comment anything on any thread, are they noticed?

Mar 19, 2024 10:30 AM in response to Stonybrook2024

im having this same issue. started to experience this Saturday (march 16th). in my room i have a sony a80j and 1st gen 4k atv model which is where i am experiencing this issue. in my living room, i have the sony a80j as well but with a 2nd gen model atv with no issues. both atv and tvs are up to the latest firmware updates. i hard reset my bedroom atv (the one with the issues) and still the same thing. also checked bravia sync settings and still nothing. i even tried another remote. super annoying. i hope apple fixes this. i dont want to buy the newer for my bedroom just for this to work

Mar 28, 2024 11:03 AM in response to Stonybrook2024

I believe Apple broke this, so I am counting on the Cupertino gurus to unbreak this. It seems to occur only on certain of my Sony TVs — 3 out of 5 — and yet it still works fine on 2 others. I ordered a new OE Sony remote for one of the affected ATV4 units, but after finding this thread, I am convinced it is Apple’s problem to fix. Get to it, boys!

Mar 24, 2024 3:50 PM in response to Stonybrook2024

March 24 Update: I had hoped that "Learn New Remote" might work, but it does not.

First I forgot the remote, then disconnected the battery every single time I had to press a button.

The biggest problem is that the Sony remote Model RMF-TX500U does not most of the buttons the set-up program was asking for, such as fast forward, rewind, stop, next track, etc.

After going through the entire set up, disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it for every single click, I gave the remote a new name, then selected it and clicked. It asked me to set it up all over again.

Total failure.

Sony Bravia TV remote stopped working with Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.