Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Determining Network Infrastructure Legitimacy(?)

Hi fellow Apple users and network knowledgeable friends!!

Could you help me understand these things...please.

-Mysterious DNS/Domain. Has anyone ever seen "gateway.fe2.apple-dns.net"? Specifically the fe2 part... weird, huh?

-Mysterious Ethernet. En5. Not set up by me, knowingly at least. In terminal, nettop, clearly shows a heap of traffic routing through en5. The existence of en5 does not show up with every search command, however. See images - En5 seems to be a hidden network. I can't see it in Wireshark either. I have en1,en2,en3,en4 showing as thunderbolt bridge ports (inactive, however. As well as bridge0). But en0 showing active wifi, and en5 showing a connection to an unknown MAC address. en5: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

ether ac:de:48:00:11:22 

inet6 fe80::aede:48ff:fe00:1122%en5 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 

nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>

media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

My brain is melting. Anybody??

-Network connection order was remotely adjusted? See image. The Preferred Order to a particular former “known network” in my system, was removed on a date I was out of state (and so were all of my devices). How could this, or why would this possibly show an adjustment on my system? Is that weird? 

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!! Big big big time!! Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 12:31 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Determining Network Infrastructure Legitimacy(?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.