I am unable to open Excel and Word files with Numbers and Pages after updating macOS to 12.7.3 Monterey

I recently upgraded to Mac OS Monterey Version 12.7.3. Before the upgrade I could open Excel files in Numbers and Word files in Pages. Now some of those files won't open. I get an error message that says that Numbers/Pages couldn't read the file. I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) running Numbers version 6.1 and Pages version 8.1.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 3:24 PM

2 replies

May 7, 2024 9:08 AM in response to SGIII

The Mac App Store won't let me update Numbers or Pages unless I upgrade the OS to Version 13. I don't want to upgrade the OS at present because I have an old HP printer and the print/scan apps may not work after the upgrade. (I have run into problems with the printer apps after upgrading to previous MacOS versions.)

It seems odd to me that some Excel/Word files that used to open using Numbers/Pages with MacOS Version 11 won't open after I upgraded to MacOS Version 12, even though the version of Numbers and Pages is the same as it was before the upgrade.

I am unable to open Excel and Word files with Numbers and Pages after updating macOS to 12.7.3 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.