Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

-54: CDs can no longer be imported into iTunes

A few days ago, I tried to import a new CD into iTunes using an Apple superdrive and got a -54 error message. I thought the CD must have a problem and tried a second new CD. Same error message.

I tried importing a CD I’d imported in the past. Same error message. Now I knew it wasn’t the CDs that were the problem. I called support.

The first agent verified my OS was up to date (14.3.1). Then she checked all my settings. They were okay. She changed several of them, one at a time, retrying import after each change. Same error message with every change. She enlisted a senior advisor.

The senior advisor also rechecked all the settings. After several -54 messages, he asked me to just play the CD. It wouldn’t play. His conclusion: the Apple superdrive I was using to import the CD was the problem. However, he said the Genius Bar folks would have to verify this by: 1) trying to import a CD into their computer using my superdrive; 2) trying to import a CD into my computer using their superdrive. The first would determine if the superdrive was the problem; the second would determine whether or not something on my computer was the problem. He made me an appointment.

The tech at the Genius Bar verified the 154 failure warning with my computer and my superdrive. He was unable to import a CD from my superdrive into his store computer because, he explained, the store computers are programmed to block any import of any customer data. That test could not be performed. 

He did use another Apple superdrive to try importing a CD into my computer. That produced the -54 failure warning.

Like the two phone support folks, he alsoi had never seen a -54 error message before. He consulted with a senior advisor who explained the latest update to the OS includes programming changes that no longer allow Apple to bypass licensing restrictions that are encoded into the CDs to prevent unauthorized reproduction/distribution. 

He explained Apple, like everyone else, has shifted to the subscription streaming model. That is why Apple no longer supports iTunes. 

That, anyway, is what I've been told. It sounds reasonable — but so did the explanation for why my problem was my superdrive. Is this last explanation actually true? If so, does anyone know of a system as great as the old Apple iTunes system for collecting and listening to one's own music collection and tailored playlists on an iPod-like device with the same capacity for imported music and a jack for a good headphone?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 18, 2024 11:57 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 18, 2024 2:47 PM in response to orange barrel

orange barrel wrote:

A few days ago, I tried to import a new CD into iTunes using an Apple superdrive and got a -54 error message. I thought the CD must have a problem and tried a second new CD. Same error message.

I tried importing a CD I’d imported in the past. Same error message. Now I knew it wasn’t the CDs that were the problem. I called support.

The first agent verified my OS was up to date (14.3.1). Then she checked all my settings. They were okay. She changed several of them, one at a time, retrying import after each change. Same error message with every change. She enlisted a senior advisor.

The senior advisor also rechecked all the settings. After several -54 messages, he asked me to just play the CD. It wouldn’t play. His conclusion: the Apple superdrive I was using to import the CD was the problem. However, he said the Genius Bar folks would have to verify this by: 1) trying to import a CD into their computer using my superdrive; 2) trying to import a CD into my computer using their superdrive. The first would determine if the superdrive was the problem; the second would determine whether or not something on my computer was the problem. He made me an appointment.

The tech at the Genius Bar verified the 154 failure warning with my computer and my superdrive. He was unable to import a CD from my superdrive into his store computer because, he explained, the store computers are programmed to block any import of any customer data. That test could not be performed. 

He did use another Apple superdrive to try importing a CD into my computer. That produced the -54 failure warning.

Like the two phone support folks, he alsoi had never seen a -54 error message before. He consulted with a senior advisor who explained the latest update to the OS includes programming changes that no longer allow Apple to bypass licensing restrictions that are encoded into the CDs to prevent unauthorized reproduction/distribution. 

He explained Apple, like everyone else, has shifted to the subscription streaming model. That is why Apple no longer supports iTunes. 

That, anyway, is what I've been told. It sounds reasonable — but so did the explanation for why my problem was my superdrive. Is this last explanation actually true? If so, does anyone know of a system as great as the old Apple iTunes system for collecting and listening to one's own music collection and tailored playlists on an iPod-like device with the same capacity for imported music and a jack for a good headphone?

If you see error -54 - Apple Support

Mar 21, 2024 2:30 PM in response to razmee209

Thank you, Razmee209. I colsolidated my files as per the directions on the link you sent me. I con tinued to get the -54 message. That message is different than the one described in the link. I've attached a screenshot of the -54 message I get when trying to import a CD.

One problem with the linked material is that it is dated December 20, 2023 and is specific to iTunes. An IOS update has converted ny iTunes app to the Music app. I noticed that other instructions in the link for other procedures are outdated; the "Go to" directions dead-end at destinations that no longer appear in the menus.

I think this is a new problem, and, so far, it seems to be intentional on Apple's part to prevent importing CDs. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Mar 28, 2024 12:10 PM in response to orange barrel

I understand the problem better. The correct expression of the problem is that CDs cannot be imported into Apple Music. It seems that sometime between mid-February and mid-March of this year, an OS upgrade included programming which blocks the importing of CDs. The manifestation of that "upgrade" is described above.

It's taken a while to find a workaround. I'm hesitant to post it here because I suspect Apple does not want us to be able to download CDs; I don't want to tip Apple off to my workaround because, if I'm correct, Apple could move to neutralize that workaround.

That Apple would block importing CDs that could then be moved to our iPods falls somewhere between regrettable and reprehensible. Perhaps Apple should reconsider its decision -- or fix the problem if blocking the import of CDs is not Apple's intention.

Apr 10, 2024 3:29 PM in response to orange barrel

Today, April 10, 6x6 gave me a solution to the problem above when responding to another (related) question:

"Go to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Files and Folders > Music and make sure “Removable Volumes” is on. This should clear the issue."

I tried this and, yes, it resolved the problem. I'm extremely grateful for this solution. It is evident now that Apple was not trying to block importing CDs to Apple Music. The upgrade must have either flipped "Removable Volumes" to off or else "Removable Volumes" wasn't there before the upgrade.

Apr 16, 2024 10:06 PM in response to orange barrel

Same problem here, unknown error -54 occurs whether I try to import a purchased music CD that is not available in Music or one that I made on my own. I was thrilled to see the fix referenced by Orange Barrel, but unfortunately it did not work for me as Removable Volumes was on and even with turning it on and off and getting in and out of Music, I still get the same error.

Apr 17, 2024 7:26 AM in response to RYRN

To add to my comment above, I get the same error message when trying to import an MP3 from a thumb drive. Bottom line, no imports seem to be allowed even though there is a prominent button asking if you want to import the CD you just loaded. There must be a setting somewhere, or just a bug for that matter, that is making imports not possible.

-54: CDs can no longer be imported into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.