Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Network Diagnostic Says "Current User in not an Administrator" When I Am Logged in on Administrator Account -Win10 x64 Pro 19042 with iTunes 12.11.0.26- How to Fix?

Hello, my question is straightforward as described in the subject line. Essentially, I have been encountering strange behavior from iTunes lately and was going through some basic troubleshooting steps when I ran the built in diagnostic utility from iTunes. I did a network connectivity test and copy/pasted the results into Notepad. The first line that caught my attention was;

*"Current user is not an administrator.*

The current local date and time is 2021-01-31 10:55:14.

iTunes is not running in s..."

Earlier in January I tried installing some music software that uses a license managing software named iLok, the official hardware vendor I downloaded the installation files from was (and is still) using an old and broken version of iLok that causes Windows10 machines to brick/BSOD upon reboot after installation. I was able to recover data but had to reinstall my OS and all my software but since I didn't know the cause of the 1st BSOD I reinstalled (Sonivox Wobble), crashed the PC again, but that time I'd made a backup image of my hard drive after all of my priority software had been reinstalled and reconfigured, and I was able to restore my machine with that backup - and that PC is my daily driver/home office desktop/what I am using to type right now. One piece of software that has been in a broken or semi-broken state is iTunes. It asks me for my password every single I open the software, and then asks again a few times while I am using it. An exclamation mark consistently lingers in the upper right. Also, I am greeted by a dialog boxing stating, "Apple Music has encountered an error" and nothing else, yet... Apple Music seems to work. For the most part. I am an Apple Music subscriber, and I can search and play music but when I attempt to add it to a Playlist or my Library I usually get an error listed unable the exclamation mark stating it was unable to do so with no explanation why. After making me put my password in again however it proceeded to download 1 of the albums that I had queued for DL, a 2 disk 40 track album that zipped through each file no problem, except two which it made me restart after giving me an error stating the "network connection was interrupted". So, I looked into my connection and it is stable and has been up all day. I ran an infinite ping on Google for a few minutes and got back 0% packet loss so I really don't think that my network connection was actually dropping or not.

Really, I am just curious why it would state that the current user is not logged in on an administrator account. I verified in Windows that my account type was Administrator so I am not sure where that is coming from. I suppose if I were to right click->Run as Administrator that might change the result? All I know is when I googled it the top result was a thread from 2014 from another user who had the same exact issue and that thread had no solution in it and had 70 other people select the "I also have this question" bubble so I thought by making a new thread perhaps someone with some more insight on this can give me some feedback. Thanks!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 8:38 AM

Yes, try using the Run as Administrator option. Apps are not normally run with admin privileges even if you happen to be an admin.

When downloading content there is an activity widget near the top right of the iTunes window. Click this and uncheck the option to allow simultaneous downloads. This may improve download reliability.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 8:38 AM in response to SmackytheFrog

Yes, try using the Run as Administrator option. Apps are not normally run with admin privileges even if you happen to be an admin.

When downloading content there is an activity widget near the top right of the iTunes window. Click this and uncheck the option to allow simultaneous downloads. This may improve download reliability.

tt2

iTunes Network Diagnostic Says "Current User in not an Administrator" When I Am Logged in on Administrator Account -Win10 x64 Pro 19042 with iTunes 12.11.0.26- How to Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.